The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

A vote against the "library" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Has anyone suggested that the inbox be separate mode with no side panel? My reasoning is that's where all the new stuff goes before you make a decision just like the physical inbox you would have on your desk. When you make the decision, the items are automatically removed from the inbox.

As for the Library, I think the problem is that the Library is a Folder and Projects are something else. Isn't a project simply a folder of action steps that one needs to do complete a project? If you use only the term Projects and have the ability to create sub-Projects, then there is no need for Folders. And moving the Inbox into it's own mode, the projects mode is simply a list of Projects. As for (multiple) single-action lists, there's is no need for them. A default 'No Project' project will suffice. And if you want to group some single action items, then by virtue of naming that group, aren't creating a project? If you say no, then what you are really doing is creating a context and so there's need to have multiple single action lists because contexts provide that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit View Post
Has anyone suggested that the inbox be separate mode with no side panel? My reasoning is that's where all the new stuff goes before you make a decision just like the physical inbox you would have on your desk. When you make the decision, the items are automatically removed from the inbox.
One benefit of having the Inbox in the same mode as the Projects is that if you promote an inbox task to a project, it can remain in view for further planning. If Inbox were to be made a separate mode, I would hope it would retain this functionality.

Another reason for some people is that items can be dragged from the inbox to the library within the same window.

And a third reason is that some of us rarely use the InBox.

95% of my stuff is directly entered in Library topics (Projects or Singleton buckets). I rarely pay attention to the InBox at all.

But I don't want to forget about the InBox, especially is I do have something there.

And I'm often dragging things out of the InBox to specific topics. For this, I need everything visible in the same window.

Ok, let's turn my original suggestion on it's head: let's get rid of modes altogether.

In the lefthand pane we would have these top level items:- InBox, Projects, Contexts and All.

When you click on InBox you'll see a list of everything that's to be decided upon.

The projects item can be expanded to reveal all top level projects (projects may contain sub projects). In an empty database, there would be one default project called 'No Project' which can't be deleted. Any action that has no project will, by default, appear in 'No Project'.

The Contexts item can be expanded to reveal all top level contexts (contexts may contain sub contexts). In a empty database, there would be one default context called 'No Context' which can't be deleted. Action action that as no context will, be default appear in 'No Context'.

Any action that appears in the InBox will also appear in 'No Project' and 'No Context'.

When you click all All, you'll see a list of every action regardless of which project and context it may have.

Actions can have their projects/contexts set or changed by either selecting the action and typing/selecting the new project and/or context. Or by dragging dropping on to the desired project/context.