The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Perspectives Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a range of different projects that are split between paid work, voluntary work and personal etc. When reviewing actions it is useful to focus on one or other of these top level projects. These focussed views can then be saved as perspectives that make working within omnifocus very efficient (I can for example concentrate on just paid work activities at certain times of the day).

However, it appears that once these perspectives are set up it isn't possible to change the projects being focussed upon in the 'Show Perspectives' window. For example it isn't possible to create a new top level project and add it to a perspective. Focussing on specific projects is a very powerful feature that is rather hobbled by the need to recreate perspectives from scratch if projects are added or removed. Or is there a selection box in another dialogue that I have missed?

If you put all of your projects in folders (in other words, no top-level projects, just folders), then you can focus on folders instead of projects and sidestep this issue.

I have set several folders and use these to store projects. I use the folders to define top-level projects. However, I still can't see a way to change the projects (folders) that are being focussed upon within the perspectives dialogue window. I should also clarify that when viewing contexts my default preference is to group by due.

I should also add that I have several organisations that I do paid/unpaid work for and each of these is defined by a separate folder in projects view. Specific projects relating to each organisation are then added to relevant folders. Folders can be added or removed over time and it's a bit of a faff to recreate perspectives by saving a specific view, it would be easier to select newly created folders using check boxes in the perspectives dialogue.

I realise that I could have a more limited number of folders that then remain consistent, but the way omnifocus deals with folder hierarchy is limited, particularly when used in conjunction with the iPad app.