The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ok, who do I suck up to? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I didn't join the mailing list until May 15th so I have not been sent a beta invitation as of yet. Who do I need to suck up to, so that I can get one? ;)

Just kidding. But I am dying to get started using a GTD program. I'm doing my best to hold out for OmniFocus but my poor little (to-do-list) notebook is getting worn out. Can anyone suggest a good GTD program for a beginner to use while he is waiting on OmniFocus?

Thanks!

Robert Basil
Fallen Heroes Car
http://www.fallenheroescar.org

I've been experimenting with iGTD.

Even though I didn't like it on first look, when it comes down to actually using the program I'm finding that it's not that bad. It has rough edges, but the developer is being very responsive to feedback and updating quite often.

At the same time, I'm consciously avoiding getting too integrated into iGTD because I want to be able to switch to OmniFocus...

That's funny - I had the opposite experience. Thought iGTD looked good, but once I started trying to use it it just seemed too complex, or cluttered or something. I'm not sure - just know that when I look at it I feel like I'm not sure I'm seeing what I need too.

It does have some really neat features though....

I recommend something very simple and outliner based, because that sort of philosophy will be useful once you start with OF, and importing will be easier from something simple, too. I've been using Todoist, which isn't super-GTD strict, but it is an outliner based philosophy that is deceptively powerful and elegant. It scales with what you need to. Simple lists are a breeze to fire off (unlike most web apps, it has full keyboard support). And working with a system that is based on lists within lists is good practice for the way OmniFocus works. If you really need to work in contexts and plan in projects, like the book, then Todoist will not work for you.

iGTD is an Entirely different philosophy; more along the lines of ThinkingRock, where each task has much more attached functionality, and almost feels like a discrete component. Projects do not feel like items in a bigger list, but singular buckets, wholly unconnected to anything around them. If the line between task and project is something you find to be a bit blurry, or you need a lot of interaction between multiple projects; iGTD's interface gets in the way, I think.

Further, I found its presentation UI creates an overly complex process because it is encourages one to "fill out the form" since it is sitting right there. Due to its "second stage" complexity (pointed out by gofast), and probable difficulty in synchronising with OF when the time comes to transition, I'd recommend not dipping too heavily into it. Of course, one should try out different philosophies. There are a lot of people that prefer to task-heavy approach that ThinkingRock and iGTD provide, and applications like OF will probably not suit them as well.

OmniGods, feel free to smite OT topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooce
You mean off-topic posts like yours? Because this thread is fairly on topic "What should I use right now that will help me best take advantage of OF down the road?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooce
Nothing I like reading more than people dissing other people on forums for trying to be helpful. <sigh>