The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Slow Inbox Behavior Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Recent versions seem to 'save to ominifocus cache' anytime an inbox field is entered. Slooooooows down the entire "blackbelt" process. My mind is no longer like H2O :)

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks.

Not just the inbox. The entire app. has become slow as molasses. Every change I make initiates a 3-4 second lag. Rebuilding the database did not help. (I'm on build 94243.)

I'm very concerned that OF is not scaling well with large databases.

Curt

In my original scaling testing, we could easily handle 10s of thousands of records (I don't recall at what point I stopped testing, but it was well above 100k, I think).

Many features have gone in since then, so probably one of them (most likely, summary computations) is slowing the application down.

If you hit a slowdown with real-world data and you have access to Spin Control (in the developer package), please send us the log it emits. If you don't have access to Spin Control, you can gather a sample from the command line.

- Find the process number of your OmniFocus using Activity Monitor or 'ps' in Terminal
- Type 'sleep 5; sample my-pid 10' in Terminal, hit return
- Start repeatedly doing the slow action in OmniFocus until Terminal returns from the sample
- Mail me the file it emits along with a description of what you were doing (tjw at omnigroup dot com) or send it to omnifocus@omnigroup.com. If you can include your OmniFocus app support directory and preferences, so much the better.

Thanks for the help tracking this down!

You can also gather a sample in Activity Monitor directly: just select OmniFocus (it's easiest if you use the Filter to search for it), then click on the "Sample Process" button in the toolbar (or select it from the menu, where its keyboard shortcut is Option-Command-S).

If you prefer to sample from Terminal, you can simply enter "sample OmniFocus 10" to sample for 10 seconds; you no longer have to look up the process id for OmniFocus by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
then click on the "Sample Process" button in the toolbar
(Not there by default but available by customizing the toolbar)

Spin Control samples are on their way.

Curt

r94320 has one fix, though I'm not sure this is the same performance problem others are seeing. Once it pops out of the build server, any updates as to how it affects performance for y'all would be helpful.

Much, much better. Thanks, Tim!

Curt

Good to here! If anyone gets slowdowns again, feel free to throw files at me.

Thanks to everyone that sent data this time around!