The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Summary view for multiple projects? [A: Resource Load Sharing available in v2.1 or later.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have multiple projects that I track using OmniPlan-2.0.3. For now, I have each one as a separate .oplx file, tracked independently of each other. I wanted to create a "project status board" of sorts, where I can see a high-level overview of the status of each project (i.e what phase it is in). For this I need to collect, in one place, information from all my projects. I could export each one to .csv manually, and then have a Python script that goes through then and plots them as a high level Gantt, but that seems too manual. Any suggestions? The final look I would like is something like

Quote:
Project-1 |-------------|+++++++++|===========|********|
Project-2 |----------|++++++++++++++++|===========|****|

- Feasibility
+ Prototype
= Implementation
* Testing
where each project is its own file, and I need information from multiple files to be collected simultaneously to make this dashboard

Note: I should clarify that the final look I mocked up above does not need to be a Gantt, I plan to play around with it to see what is suitable for my team. It may be a simple "where are we now" display, with only the active phase of each project being displayed. Point being, I would like to know how to collect this information automatically from multiple projects. How I plan to use it is irrelevant here.

Last edited by sidsrinivasan; 2012-01-30 at 01:21 PM..

Ok so I am guessing that this is not a feature that is easily possible?

Your idea of CSV and Python sounds like a good option. We don't have a way to create a dashboard view of multiple project files in OmniPlan right now, though it is a feature request in our database. The only solution within OmniPlan would be to copy and paste all the tasks from each project file into one master project file.

We have teams of event planners who will be using project plans to manage their events. We want to be able to create a master plan that incorporates all active projects (10 to 12 generally active at any one time) so that we can see resource usage and do resource leveling at the master project level. Does Omni plan have a master project capability?

Copy and paste works for the one time, but are you suggesting a copy/past for each time you want to update?
Are you saying, currently in the 2.3 version, there is not a tool that will link projects that are being worked in different saved files?
Please assist with a method that has been tested and works. Need to know how, now.

I'm not sure why no offered response. I'm looking for the same feature. It would be nice to assign a file to a manager and pull the main tasks into an overall view.

This isn't a forum where you are guaranteed an answer from Omni. If you need a guaranteed Omni answer, use Help->Send Feedback to ask them. Email is tracked and routed to the appropriate Omni staffers, but forum posts are not.

If you look at the Omni Mouth blog, there's a recent post describing the functionality for sharing resources between separate project plans. There is no overall view except of resource utilization.

GirlFriday, you'll be happy to know that OmniPlan 2.1 shipped last week, and includes a feature meant to help you balance resource workloads across multiple projects.

More info and the video in this blog post should help get you started; we're happy to answer any other questions you may have, of course. (Support mail generally gets the quickest response, but we do our best to spend as much time on the forums as we can manage on top of our other duties.)