The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is Iphone enough? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!
I've got an Iphone with Omni on it, but I don't have an Ipad or a Macbook, being a PC user. So a question to you guys - is Omni on Iphone sufficient as a GTD system on its own? To me more precise - does having both an Iphone and Ipad/Mac Omnifocus make you seriously more effective at GTD then having just an Iphone app?

Thanks!

In my experience (I use OF on iPhone, iPad and Mac) it

significantly increases the use that OF has as a GTD system to own the Mac version. That is because you can enter items quicker, make tasks from mail easily, can create custom perspectives (iPhone and iPad are view-only on perspectives) and have the large screen available.

moderately increases productivity to own the iPad version since you can make use of the larger screen, better keyboard and so on.

If you do not want to buy an iPad/a mac then you will be fine with just the iPhone version. If you have the chance to get your hands on a pad/mac, go for it. If you have a limited budget but could afford either of those two (but not both), get the mac since it will get you the most added value out of OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
In my experience ... it significantly increases the use that OF has as a GTD system to own the Mac version. ... If you have a limited budget but could afford either of those two [iPad / Mac] (but not both), get the mac since it will get you the most added value out of OF.
I concur with this advice.

--
JJW

Hmmm...I actually wanted to go Ipad + Ipone :) You see, being a student, I'm looking for a really moblie solution, which the Ipad seems to fit nicely - awesome battery life, easy to carry around and a decent screen size. do I understand it right that the Omnifocus on Ipad (with 3G) has the same functionality as the Macbook (not taking the keyboard and touchscreen into account)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esfirius View Post
do I understand it right that the Omnifocus on Ipad (with 3G) has the same functionality as the Macbook (not taking the keyboard and touchscreen into account)?
No, you will not have the ability to create your own perspectives, which is a very nice option to have. I have all three versions, but I probably use OmniFocus on the iPad the most. However, that's due in part to the custom perspectives that I created on the Mac and synced to the iOS versions of OmniFocus.

One option is the MacBook Air. I'm a student and considered the iPad for the same reasons you mentioned. I settled on the MBA instead because I'm a touch typist and the physical keyboard is a big plus; because I had a lot of software already for the Mac; and because it is a full fledged computer for nearly the same price.

I have found that it's so ultra-portable and easy to carry around. Also, now that I've been up and running with it for a year, if I had an iPad I think it would be too similar to my iPodT/iPhone. The MBA fills a different niche.

Anyway, FWIW in making your choices....

I'm new here but not to using my ip as my only task list. I like the always on me factor. I'm constantly on the go. When I get an iPad, I will add OF for sure.

I have all three, the Mac version is overkill for me, but the archiving feature is crucial due to the way I use OF.

I would find the iphone version restrictive just due to the amount of projects I have and how I use it. the iPad is the easiest version for me to use in most places.

Iphone is the most appropriate version to use, if you choose between the iphone and ipad, you will choose?

I would pick the ipad version, if I only had to use one.