The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Better Find Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello there!

I was looking for something on a very colorful page, and it was hard to see the highlighted text on the found word.

I was wondering about an optional feature where the highlighted text might pulse(not strobe!) for a few seconds, or cycle through several colors, or something that would make it easier to see what you are looking for.

SC

I totally agree.
It's not just the "old fashioned way" to use a separate popup window.
It does not even need to be a colorful page. Some of my favorite sites use blue links, almost the same blue Omniweb uses to highlight the hits (I know - it uses the system's highlight color).
I like the way Safari 3.1 and FireFox 3 RC1 handles it.
A small bar docks below the favorites bookmarks (FireFox docks it above the status bar), fades out the whole screen a bit and highlights all words at a time. Safari also counts the number of found words.
I would love to see that in the future Omniweb Version!

I third this, its long overdue (I have requested this at least twice before)!

I agree.

Nothing has changed in the sneak preview of 5.1 :o((((
So once again I'll switch back to Safari as long as this is implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcraft View Post
Hello there!

I was looking for something on a very colorful page, and it was hard to see the highlighted text on the found word.

I was wondering about an optional feature where the highlighted text might pulse(not strobe!) for a few seconds, or cycle through several colors, or something that would make it easier to see what you are looking for.

SC
Also, live incremental find triggered by the user simply starting to type is something I'd like to see in OW.

I don't remember where I've get this javascript, but I use it more often than command+F.
The highlighted text become yellow.

Code:
javascript:(function(){var%20count=0,%20text,%20dv;text=prompt(%22Search%20phrase:%22,%20%22%22);if(text==null%20||%20text.length==0)return;dv=document.defaultView;function%20searchWithinNode(node,%20te,%20len){var%20pos,%20skip,%20spannode,%20middlebit,%20endbit,%20middleclone;skip=0;if(%20node.nodeType==3%20){pos=node.data.toUpperCase().indexOf(te);if(pos%3E=0){spannode=document.createElement(%22SPAN%22);spannode.style.backgroundColor=%22yellow%22;middlebit=node.splitText(pos);endbit=middlebit.splitText(len);middleclone=middlebit.cloneNode(true);spannode.appendChild(middleclone);middlebit.parentNode.replaceChild(spannode,middlebit);++count;skip=1;}}else%20if(%20node.nodeType==1&&%20node.childNodes%20&&%20node.tagName.toUpperCase()!=%22SCRIPT%22%20&&%20node.tagName.toUpperCase!=%22STYLE%22){for%20(var%20child=0;%20child%20%3C%20node.childNodes.length;%20++child){child=child+searchWithinNode(node.childNodes[child],%20te,%20len);}}return%20skip;}window.status=%22Searching%20for%20'%22+text+%22'...%22;searchWithinNode(document.body,%20text.toUpperCase(),%20text.length);window.status=%22Found%20%22+count+%22%20occurrence%22+(count==1?%22%22:%22s%22)+%22%20of%20'%22+text+%22'.%22;})();
Still works with SP

How to bind this script to ctrl+f?

You have to bookmark it in your favorite bar.
Create any bookmark and change the url with this code within the bookmarks window.

edit:
the page of javascripts I was searching is here:
http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/extras/

Last edited by sangheeta; 2009-07-30 at 12:44 AM..

Thanks - this helps a little bit - although I cannot continue searching with ctrl+g.
This issue interrupts my workflow :-(