The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Praying for "hard sync only" option Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OF would be a perfect solution for me if I could get my desktop and iPhone versions in sync. The cloud syncing is not working properly (or at least not reliably yet).

Can you give us an option to ONLY hard sync (and not "in the cloud" sync) between desktop and iphone? (Or is there a setting for this I have not seen?)

That would answer all my needs since I DO NOT HAVE any need for cloud syncing. I just want them to be the same at the end of the day, and I am happy to do it all once per day manually.

Thanks in advance.

This has been answered...and there are many threads about this already including:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9081

That thread deals with folks who do not want WebDav/mobile.me syncing. Those folks are "praying for" (my words) WiFi syncing.

I am asking for something more basic.

I want a manual sync (no cloud whatsoever, WiFi or WebDav).

(a) Is this an option already?

(b) If not, can it be implemented (or is it impossible)?

I want to sync my iPhone OF just like I sync my iPod to iTunes. Daily, manually, and completely reliably.

Thanks again for your help and patience!

I'm afraid that syncing over the USB cable, like iTunes does or as part of the iTunes sync, is not available to third-party developers.

I probably should have known that, but my geek credentials are not very impressive.

Thanks for responding. Bummer!

But do you guys know that Markspace's Missing Sync for the iPhone uses the USB to sync SMS log and notes? I wonder how did they accomplish that feat!

I twittered about this issue. Here is the @omnifocusforiphone response:

http://twitter.com/omnifocusiphone/statuses/874859903

Just to be clear, that tweet from @omnifocusiphone is referring to the work we're doing on local Wi-Fi sync.

Missing Sync doesn't sync across USB itself; it just opens the data that iTunes was already syncing (but not displaying).

Thank you for that clarity. Wifi syncing does not address my problem as I lack Wifi at home and work.

It has been 5 full days now without syncing between my desktop OF and iPhone OF.

I just checked my iPhone OF and it still is missing all the material I have added to my desktop OF since July 30. I have the latest updates. I synced it using the Edge network. All my other iPhone apps are syncing with Edge (i.e., mobileme "push" is working).

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the product, but I cannot use it without reliable syncing between the desktop and iPhone. I am very bummed.

Marie,

It is likely that your desktop computer has wifi...and it is certain your iphone does. this is as close to a hard wired synch solution we are likely to see for a long while and will probably fill your needs. Check your desktop for wifi by going to System Preferences > Network - and see if there's an airport option there...or via Apple Menu > About This Mac > More Info