The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Workspaces and memory Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm a big user of workspaces - I have over 20 set up. I disable the auto-save and return to the snapshot each time they load.

My problem is that I will frequently end up with 5 or 6 workspaces loaded simultaneously, and the memory usage goes through the roof - typically 5-800MB.

Is there any way (other than quitting) of closing a workspace and releasing the memory. Closing the windows/s doesn't seem to help.

Should I just stop using workspaces this way and use bookmarks instead? Don't want to do that as I find workspaces really useful. Grateful for any ideas.

Workspaces automatically unload after an hour of inactivity. If you want to shorten this time limit you can run this in the terminal command:
Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WorkspaceExpireTime -int 3600
the number at the end is up to you. The value is in seconds so this command is equal to 60 minutes (the default value).

That's excellent thanks, I'll do that from now on.
I'm assuming I will need to run that each time I load Omniweb (or create a script to do so)?

Last edited by JulianAC; 2007-08-01 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: wanted to say thanks!

No, that's writing to your OmniWeb preferences file, so it should stay in effect until you trash your preferences file.

I understand that this is the expected behaviour, but that isn't exactly what I experienced.
I had 2 workspaces, and OW frequently ate up 500mb, with only 1 of the workspaces ever being active. Now, I've killed the 2nd (inactive) workspace altogether, and OW sits happily at 200mb...
So, something tells me Workspaces DO consume quite a lot of memory, even when inactive.