The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning/End of Cell/Row (possibly with AppleScript) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
It appears that there are neither keystrokes nor AppleScript mechanisms for moving to the beginning/end of a cell or of a row. Or maybe there are and I forget what they are. These would seem to be fundamental operations for an outline. (For the cell operations, I don't mean beginning/end of line or paragraph -- I really mean cell, even if it has multiple paragraphs.)

Can someone know how to do this, either with keystrokes or with AppleScript? In fact, I would like to know how an AppleScript can move the location in the document where the cursor appears. I can only find selected rows, not, as in most application's AppleScript dictionary, the selected text (position if nothing selected).

We support all the standard keyboard shortcuts for text navigation, you can view the Keyboard Commands list under the Help menu for everything. Of interest to you would be:

- Go to beginning of line ⌘←
- Go to end of line ⌘→
- Move forward one word ⌥→
- Move backward one word ⌥←
- Go to beginning of paragraph ⌃A
- Go to end of paragraph ⌃E

There is not a shortcut to go to the end of a row if there are multiple columns though.

Right, or the beginning/end of a cell if it has multiple paragraphs. Yes, you support the standard keyboard shortcuts for text navigation, but since outlines consist of rows of cells (like spreadsheets, and in fact some spreadsheet applications allow rows to have subrows grouped under them in some way) there should be a way to go to the beginning/end of a cell or of a row. Seems fundamental and strange that after all these years OmniOutliner doesn't have that. Then again, it seems strange to me that I've used OmniOutliner off and on for many years and haven't asked about these features. So I guess in practice this must not be so important, even though logically it seems basic, if not essential.