The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Windows Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniFocus is a very exciting product. I would very like use it for organising and tracking my work, but at my work place, where I have a PC running under Windows as many many people.

So is there a plan to develop Omnifocus under Windows ?

at your work would or could you use a mac? Just curious on my part. I swapped all my employee cmputers over so they could have a choice. We run some windows only software for a few employees so they just use VMWare. Everyone is more happy now that they are adjusted. Less problems too. Just curious how other companies do. We have around 30 computers.

One of my managing employees is about to try OF and she is really excited.

Last edited by dude; 2008-07-27 at 04:37 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean FABRE View Post
OmniFocus is a very exciting product. I would very like use it for organising and tracking my work, but at my work place, where I have a PC running under Windows as many many people.

So is there a plan to develop Omnifocus under Windows ?
I can't speak for Omni, but I'd be shocked if they produced OmniFocus for Windows. Omni was a NextStep software house and moved to Mac with the debut of Mac OS X. To my knowledge, they've never done anything on Windows.

Curt

There is no plan to develop OmniFocus (or any other application) for Windows.

A more interesting, potentially more practical idea (than WinFocus) would be to release a web-based interface (AjaxFocus) that would run in a (compliant) browser on any platform.

- Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Are there any programs to which OmniFocus can be exported that are platform agnostic?

I <3 OmniFocus, but am growing beyond being able to use a mac-only workflow.

I've worked around this by using OmniFocus for Mac and syncing it to Omni's web sync services. Then I also use OmniFocus for iPad and sync it to the web sync. Voila! My task list is synced. I don't need a Mac at work. I just take out my iPad when I need to check my task list.

In many corporations, the IT department may not allow you to install non-authorized software packages. So, even if Omni were to make a Windows version, would the IT department allow it?

An iPad or an iPod touch is a small investment that would probably help your workflow. Omni's web sync services helps a lot. A MacBook Air with OmniFocus would be small and portable enough for one to bring to work.

I've seen people who have a company cellphone for most work functions and an iPhone to handle their own personal stuff. That's just life - there will be things beyond your control. You'll have to find that sweet spot where you can manage your own personal GTD workflow and also work with your company's proprietary workflow system (Microsoft Exchange or a proprietary IT infrastructure for managing projects and tasks).

The "use an iDevice" thing is not tenable, because I cannot clip emails into it (for example).

We have a small business, and so (thankfully) I have no corporate IT overlords.

I wonder if there is a way to export OmniFocus to Outlook? That is cross platform at least? If my choices are to sync Outlook mac to PC (home and work) and just not sync to the phone/pad at all, that may be preferable to a system in which I can sync everywhere except to the PC.

You could use the "send-to-omnifocus" service: just send your mail to "send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com". You'll receive back a mail with a "Send to OmniFocus" link. Just tap on the link and a new task is created with your mail in the notes field.

Last edited by Steinthal; 2012-02-17 at 03:54 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Is there any chance these plans might change? I'm a very happy OmniFocus user - but I'm becoming more and more frustrated with Apple. The company does a great job serving the consumers (consumers in the sense of "people who consume") - but when it comes to Pro stuff, it looks like Apple is heading another direction (just look at the ridiculous Mac Pro update they delivered today).

And being locked into one hardware/software-vendor starts to become increasingly painful.

OmniFocus is one of the few applications that I would seriously miss if I moved on to Windows.