The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus for Windows or Web [A: No plans for Windows app, Web possible someday.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazhayes View Post
If you just want a web app, there is a *very* good one that leaves Omnifocus in the dust in terms of GTD implementation (OF only takes care of runway and 10,000ft). Nothing web based is going to be as sexy or easy to use as omnifocus though - I've tried everything and there is nothing that beats the usability of omnifocus.

The web based implementation of GTD I am referring to is called GTD-PHP (pls google it) and is open source. You need some of the extra modules to get things like email=>inbox etc.
A quick Google search (because I don't have my David Allen book handy at the moment) refreshed my memory of the Horizons of Focus

Quote:
1. Next actions (Runway)
2. Projects, near-term (10K)
3. Areas of responsibility (20K)
4. 6 month to 1 year desired outcomes (30K)
5. 3 to 5 year goals/objectives (40K)
6. Purpose of life (50K)
You can create folders that are labelled as Areas of Responsibilities and that becomes your 20K horizon of focus.

A few examples from my personal OmniFocus for Areas of Responsibilities (20K) are:

Home (various home maintenance and renovation projects)
Work (all work related and advances the goals of my company)
Personal Development (personal enrichment, spirituality and career advancement)
Family Man (my role as a Son, Father, and Husband)
Community Service (giving back to the community)

I have my projects (10K) sorted into those folders labelled as Areas of Responsibilities (20K).

My higher Horizons of Focus are stored in NovaMind which is a mindmapping program. I don't know if there are other task management programs that can go higher. But that's not their main focus.

My higher horizons are not meant to be looked at every day. Every quarter (3 months), I'll review my completed actions/projects to my mind map, check off various bubbles in my mindmap as completed and determine what the next bubble in the mindmap needs to be activated for the next 3-6 months. That takes me up a little higher in the Horizon of Focus up to 30K (6 month to 1 year desired outcomes).

I wouldn't want OmniFocus to give me a watered down mindmapping feature. I'd rather have a dedicated mindmapping program for that. I used to use MindNode Pro which is a very affordable and simple program found in the Mac App Store.

I've also used iThoughtsHD for the iPad and have found that to be an excellent tool as well for Higher Horizons of Focus.

If you're not really into mindmapping then you can do what I did for a long time. I just stored my higher Horizons of Focus in an OmniOutliner outline and print it out. There's just something magical about looking at it on a piece of paper instead of a screen. Then I'll work from the outline printout and strategize which sections of the outline I want to activate for the next 3-6 months to work on my 30K level.

I'd rather keep my lower Horizons of Focus in OmniFocus and keep the higher Horizons in a separate document like a mindmap or outline. OmniFocus can be used together with other programs to make your overall GTD system stronger.

sorry to dig into this but since OF in other platforms are far-fetched, how do you guys handle action items from emails at work (windows outlook)?

do you type the tasks into OF ipad/iphone?

I understand there is this send email to "send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com", but i'm talking about like ~30 actionable emails per day it would be tedious by taking the effort to do this.

i need a solution quick, having 2x GTD systems is confusing me.

Aurora, we've got an improvement to the tool you're mentioning in progress; contact our support ninjas and we can provide more info.

Closing this thread since the information in it is now outdated. See this thread for more recent information.