The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

flip-flopping bonjour/webdav sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to flip-flop the sync from bonjour to webdav many times a day. Basically, while I'm near my MacBook, I'd do the bonjour; when I'm away, I'd sync up to webdav as backup. Now I have to go to preferences and change that; fortunately the settings seems remembered for each. Still it would be easier if there were a dedicated button for just flipping.

More importantly, is it safe? Can I expect that if I ever need the webdav copy, or sync Mac to it in between bonjour syncs, things will be peachy? Is there any specific protocol to follow when flip-flopping, to be safe?

If you ever forget to sync everything before switching, you'll probably lose some transactions...

So it's even more important to have a separate button for sync, asking you to sync now and then switching! This thread should have probably gone to the Sync subforum, but the need for a separate button is now my excuse it's here. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
So it's even more important to have a separate button for sync, asking you to sync now and then switching!
You do have to do the sync operation on all the devices, not just one. I'm skeptical that Omni will encourage a strategy that puts data at risk. How much time do you think you are actually getting as a net savings after you factor in reconfiguring all your devices several times a day? I'm syncing my tired old Macbook to Apple's pokey servers via a not particularly fast uplink with a 6 or 7 MB of data and nearly 10,000 actions, yet I rarely notice any disruption from the sync activities. Maybe it is worse on an iPhone (I haven't used OmniFocus on one), but it would have to be a lot worse for me to want to do what you suggest...your mileage may vary!