The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The cognitive cost of colored buckets Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The colored singleton buckets are distracting.

A key strength of Omnifocus is a general lack of visual distraction and a facilitation of focus. Up till now the user's eye has been presented with only two information layers: a generally muted background, and a colored foreground for next actions.

The colored buckets introduce a third visual plane (eye-catching points of blue) which does not correspond in any useful way to a third information layer.

The visual contrast between projects and singleton groups should be enough to distinguish them, but no more. To minimize visual noise, I would suggest that the "bucket" should be the same gray as folders, and in the same graphic idiom (simple and unelaborated) as the regular projects.

Personally I'd just have a "single actions" top-level category in the sidebar with a folder icon in the same format as the Projects one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
Personally I'd just have a "single actions" top-level category in the sidebar
Personally I do find it useful to have multiple and nameable groups of single actions, grouped within different folders - it's just the dots of color that I find distractingly noisy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Personally I do find it useful to have multiple and nameable groups of single actions, grouped within different folders - it's just the dots of color that I find distractingly noisy ...
I believe our friendly neighborhood Omni Ninjas said they expect this icon to change. It is a bit uh, vibrant, isn't it? [Actually, I have to applaud the design Ninjas for keeping the interface so low key that a small blue bucket is perceived as too bold. It certainly doesn't get in the way of the data.]

I noticed it also obliterated an "On Hold" marker on the project. Whatever we end up with, I don't want it to hide other markers.

--Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Fair enough, but you could still do this if OF allowed subfolders (like the project folders) in the single actions category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf View Post
I noticed it also obliterated an "On Hold" marker on the project. Whatever we end up with, I don't want it to hide other markers.
Would singleton "projects" ever need to be on hold? I can see taking them "out of focus," but I don't think I'd ever need to put them on hold in my workflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Would singleton "projects" ever need to be on hold? I can see taking them "out of focus," but I don't think I'd ever need to put them on hold in my workflow.
They do in my workflow.

I clean the house using a modification of FlyLady's Zones. Each week I focus on a different part of the house, and do the cleaning/maintenance tasks for that area.

My OF setup for this work is:
Folder: Liz the Housewife
Projects: Kitchen (this week)
Bathrooms (on hold for next week)
Living Room (on hold for 2 weeks from now)
etc.

I could set up each zone's Project as either Sequential, Parallel, or Singleton. Sequential doesn't make any sense, Parallel shows me only one Next Action, which I don't like. So I currently have my On Hold zones set to Singleton.

I suppose now that repeating Projects works, this might be a better solution. But I can easily see other collections of singleton Actions that one may want to put on hold. [Things to do once the kids are settled in school, random thoughts related to the remodel we plan to do before the next Ice Age, etc.]

--Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf View Post
I suppose now that repeating Projects works, this might be a better solution. But I can easily see other collections of singleton Actions that one may want to put on hold. [Things to do once the kids are settled in school, random thoughts related to the remodel we plan to do before the next Ice Age, etc.]
An alternative way to handle these would be to keep all your "someday/maybes" as on-hold projects. Then, when you activate them, you can either leave them as a project if they turn out to be multi-step or convert them to a singleton action if they are really one-step tasks. Not necessarily better than your way, just another way of looking at it. :)