The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to See Only Due, Flagged, Next Actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm looking for a way to create a perspective that shows me what I must do today (Due) followed by important items that are not due (Flagged) followed by the next logical thing to do once I take care of Due and Flagged (Next Actions).

I have not been able to figure out a way to do this. If only the column "Show Actions with Status" had an option for Due and Next Actions.

Thanks,
Anne

I don't think it's possible to show all those in a single perspective. My approach is to work from a Due Items perspective until the items due today are done. Then I work then from an Important Items (i.e., flagged) perspective, and then from a Next Actions perspective if time permits. I look over the Due Items and Important Items perspectives first thing in the morning to get a feel for the day.

Curt

I use a similar workaround. Thanks for the input.

Anne

This is another example of why moving "Due or Flagged" to the "Flagged/Unflagged" filter, rather than the "Status" filter makes a lot of sense, as discussed here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...9471#post59471

You could set the "Status" filter to "Next Action" and the "Flagged/Unflagged" filter to "Due or Flagged"

As it stands today, I can't imagine a useful use-case for "Due or Flagged". I've had several people say that just because I can't imagine one doesn't mean their isn't one, but no one has actually shared what that useful example might be.

Send feedback to Omni if you think it's a good idea.

Last edited by curiousstranger; 2009-08-02 at 10:02 AM..

It may or may not be a good idea, but would it solve the problem here? Even if due or flagged was with the other Flag filters, if you set it together with next actions it would only show only flagged or due that were also next actions, wouldn't it, and not flagged, due, or next actions, which is what the original poster is seeking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
if you set it together with next actions it would only show only flagged or due that were also next actions, wouldn't it, and not flagged, due, or next actions, which is what the original poster is seeking?
You're right, I misread. I thought they were looking for due or flagged next actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousstranger View Post
As it stands today, I can't imagine a useful use-case for "Due or Flagged". I've had several people say that just because I can't imagine one doesn't mean their isn't one, but no one has actually shared what that useful example might be.
The use case Bill mentions in this post is the intended one.

Admittedly, it's not useful to you because of the way it handles implicitly-flagged items, but saying that it isn't useful to anyone is an overstatement.

Actually, it's not anything to do with the implicit flagging issues, which were fixed. I really should have started another thread, rather than continue that old one. The issue I have with it now is that the due and flagged shows *all* due and flagged items, including ones that can't be done yet. If Bill needs a view that allows him to skip ahead of blocking items to do "unavailable" items that are flagged or due, then I suppose that is a use, although I can't imagine why you would allow a project to get into that state. Presumably, the blocking item is there for some reason.

I'm a fan of the Due and Flagged view also, and it's not because I want/need to skip ahead of blocking items. I want to see all due items in this view because... they are due! I use this view as a status check throughout the day to keep on top of everything that must be done. I'll look at this view, then switch to a view of available tasks to continue working my plan.

Perhaps the best way that I can demonstrate this view's usefulness to me is to give an example of what might happen if the view only included flagged and due tasks that are available. If that were the case, I might look at the list and see one due item with an estimated duration of 1 hour, that I really don't want to work on right now because there are flagged items that I might find more interesting. I near the end of the day, so I work the one due item, check it off, and then much to my surprise, a task with an estimated 3 hour duration that is also due today pops into the list because it was previously blocked by the action I just completed. That's not the behavior I want to see from the due view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Perhaps the best way that I can demonstrate this view's usefulness to me is to give an example of what might happen if the view only included flagged and due tasks that are available. If that were the case, I might look at the list and see one due item with an estimated duration of 1 hour, that I really don't want to work on right now because there are flagged items that I might find more interesting. I near the end of the day, so I work the one due item, check it off, and then much to my surprise, a task with an estimated 3 hour duration that is also due today pops into the list because it was previously blocked by the action I just completed. That's not the behavior I want to see from the due view.
Wouldn't it be equally useful if you could set "Status" to "Remaining" and "Flagged/Unflagged" to "Due and Flagged"? I could then set "Status" to "Available" and "Flagged/Unflagged" to "Due and Flagged" to accomplish what I want. It broadens the usefulness of the filter.