The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Developer > AppleScripting Omni Apps
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Export file OO4 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey, applescript newbie here. I'm trying to write a script that will export my OO4 file to a specified format and location. In the Omnioutliner applescript dictionary I found:

Quote:
export v : Exports the document to the specified location and file type. Unlike the "save" command, this will never set the name of the document or change its modified flag.
export specifier : the object for the command
to file : Where to place the exported document.
[as text] : The name of a writable file type to use when writing the document. Defaults to the appropriate type for the path extension on the export destination.
And based on that I made a few attempts:

Code:
tell application "OmniOutliner"
	export to "/Users/mm/Dropbox/My Stuff/Outliner export" as ".rtf"
end tell
Did nothing.

Code:
	tell front document
		export to "/Users/mmarotta/Dropbox/My Stuff/Outliner export/Sell house (conflict from Macbook-Pro-Michael-Marotta).oo3"
	end tell
end tell
Gave error message "error "OmniOutliner got an error: “Sell house (conflict from Macbook-Pro-Michael-Marotta).oo3” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Outliner export”." number 7"

Code:
	set mydoc to open "/Users/mmarotta/Documents/My Local Stuff/OmniPresence/Outliner Notes Files/Outline Projects/Sell house.oo3"
	export mydoc to "/Users/mmarotta/Dropbox/My Stuff/Outliner export/Sell house.oo3" as ".rtf"
end tell
Said .rtf is not a writable format. I tried ".rtf", "RTF", "RTF (Rich Text Document)", "HTML", and "com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner.HTMLExport/HTML (Dynamic)" (which I saw used in another post) and all got the similar error. I'm not really sure what's supposed to go in here.

When I tried removing the 'as .rtf' section hoping it would just default to something to see if the rest of the script worked I got "error "OmniOutliner got an error: “Sell house.oo3” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Outliner export”." number 7"

I just can't get any of this to work. Like I said, I'm super new to applescript so it's probably something obvious but I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Thanks!

Last edited by random1destiny; 2014-03-11 at 08:06 AM..

You're on the right track!

The issue you're running up against is that you're passing a string to the export command where it expects a file reference. AppleScript is generally pretty clever about automatically converting strings to file references when it can, so it does—which is why you don't get a type error—but the reference is pointing outside the app's sandbox, so you get a permission error.

Here is what Mountain Lion's AppleScript Release Notes has to say about all this:

Quote:
When sending commands to a sandboxed application, such as TextEdit in OS X Mountain Lion, parameters that refer to files must be of an explicit file-like type and not a bare string, or the target application will not be able to access the file. For example, file "Macintosh HD:Users:me:sample.txt", POSIX file "/Users/me/sample.txt", or the result of choose file would all be acceptable, but the string "/Users/me/sample.txt" would not.
So, all you need to do to solve this is to turn the string into a file reference before handing it off to the app, so that the sandbox will see that the script has granted the app access to that path. Like so:

Code:
	tell front document
		export to POSIX file "/tmp/test1.rtf"
	end tell
	export front document to POSIX file "/tmp/test2.rtf"
end tell
Hope this helps!

Yes, that worked perfectly! Thanks Ken!