The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus on iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I had hoped that the iPad version would be their "big" update in terms of functionality, but it's actually nothing more than a redesigned UI -- I don't think there's a single new feature there.
Have you seen the iPad version of OF?

I didn't think it was available.

No, I was talking about Things in that context, which is what I had thought you were referring to when you indicated that it "must have been done hastily."

Thanks for the clarification. I'm relieved that the iPad OF isn't a disappointment (yet). I was just out on a shopping trip (that is, driving a shopper) and working in the parking lot on my 3G iPad. I found the iPhone version of OF, blown up to 2X, was perfectly workable, though hardly elegant.

I have been using Things on my iPad because I didn't like how OF looked in the x1 or x2 display mode. I got the WiFi iPad on launch day (and got the 3G the day after it's launch day) so I had given it about a month long test. I didn't like it, simply put - just not enough behind it performance wise. OF beats it hands down. The jailbreak for the iPad came out Sunday night and since I am a long time iPhone jb'er I didn't waste any time doing the same with my iPad. I found a way to make a very small change to the plist file in OF that allowed it to be displayed in full screen without any distortion on my iPad. Things is now gone, OF is back where it belongs, and life is once again in harmony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
<snip>
Things is all flash and no substance, and if you think that Omni's schedule for getting OF onto the iPad is longer than it should be, consider that Things has been promising features like over-the-air syncing and full repeating task support for a year and a half now. I downloaded Things for the iPad, not because I was interested in switching to it, but simply for research purposes because I write about iPhone and iPad stuff for a living.
</snip>
I'm late to this thread, but what jdh is saying here is the elemental truth - buy into Things at your peril. It is coming up to 18 months ago that they promised the ability to set recurring tasks on the iPhone version would be added and yet they still haven't been implemented. Instead of doing the (seemingly) hard work of fixing their pretty-but-utterly-mediocre iPhone app, they waste their customers time releasing an iPad app with the exact same limitations. Their work ethic and attitude to customers is beyond atrocious.

When I heard that we have to wait a few more months until we get a native ipad client for OmniFocus, I began to look into Things, but that just confirmed that OmniFocus was the best app for me, so I'm waiting it out.

But I'm waiting it out in style. If your phone is jailbroken, there is a preference file hack that makes it run as if it were an iPad app. Most apps don't handle this well, but so far. OmniFocus does.

http://tweetphoto.com/21831839

There's an app called FullForce that makes this even easier to implement. This makes the wait for the full version a little more bearable.

Agree with the posts that functionality of OmniFocus iPhone trumps the "pretty" Things app.

That being said, I really hope OmniGroup has worked on the GUI for the ipad version. My Mac App is feeling a bit long in the tooth design-wise. The toolbar (Filter - Grouping - Sorting - Availability - Status - Time) dropdowns seem very dated, and I continue to be surprised that I can't do things like drag columns to rearrange.

Look forward to the iPad version...

To each their own, I prefer Things. If Omni Focus floats your boat, then good, if it's Things, then the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I'm late to this thread, but what jdh is saying here is the elemental truth - buy into Things at your peril. It is coming up to 18 months ago that they promised the ability to set recurring tasks on the iPhone version would be added and yet they still haven't been implemented. Instead of doing the (seemingly) hard work of fixing their pretty-but-utterly-mediocre iPhone app, they waste their customers time releasing an iPad app with the exact same limitations. Their work ethic and attitude to customers is beyond atrocious.
JKT-I couldn't agree with you more. I must admit, OF is not the prettiest app, but syncing between my Mac, 3G iPad, 3GS iPhone has been stellar (using MobileMe). I've got too much, organizationally, invested at this point and I've gotten very used to squeezing a lot out of it. I was watching Things and Midnight Inbox for awhile (I'm attracted to good UIs), but Cultured AND Midnight Beep push their dates back constantly. I understand development has these lapses, but if I remember correctly, I think CC was a full year late on delivering their v1 app.

In opinion, OF can do some very robust things using large databases, while Things appears to work for the casual GTD'er.

Just my $0.02.

-Marc

Dear Omni,

With June almost upon us and the iPad launching in Europe, could you let us know when in June we should expect Omnifocus for iPad ?
June 1 to June 30 is a BIG difference.

Thank you in advance