The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Deleted a bunch of my Contexts... what the? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
convergent: I think your contexts are selected in your sidebar because you saved your perspective that way. Can you recreate your perspective without those items selected?

I must agree with whpalmer4 here: it only seems natural that having items selected in the sidebar and hitting the delete key should delete those items. If this bothers you, I think the best thing to do is save your perspectives without a sidebar selection.

Having said that, I'm also sometimes a bit nervous about accidentally deleting items, although it's never actually happened to me. The undo is nice, especially when it actually tells me what will be undone (e.g. undo drag). A plain ""undo" with nothing more worries me because I have no idea what it's referring to.

So some kind of optional deletion warning would be nice. Or, add a trash can, so I at least have a chance to recover an item before it's gone for good.

-Dennis

It's very useful to save perspectives with a set of selected contexts. For example, my Work Actions perspective just has my at-the-office contexts selected. However, that doesn't mean that the context sidebar should be focused when that perspective is selected. If OF would give the content pane focus when activating a perspective, then the chance of accidental deleting contexts would be a lot less.

That said, it makes sense to me that Delete on a context, folder, or project in the sidebar would require confirmation, with Command-Delete skipping the confirmation step. That feels like the right balance between avoiding accidental, large-scale actions without requiring complex configuration options.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
It's very useful to save perspectives with a set of selected contexts. For example, my Work Actions perspective just has my at-the-office contexts selected. However, that doesn't mean that the context sidebar should be focused when that perspective is selected. If OF would give the content pane focus when activating a perspective, then the chance of accidental deleting contexts would be a lot less.
I read this and thought to myself, "didn't I just post that very suggestion this morning?" A few seconds flipping through my windows and I found the post, previewed but not yet submitted :-)
Quote:
That said, it makes sense to me that Delete on a context, folder, or project in the sidebar would require confirmation, with Command-Delete skipping the confirmation step. That feels like the right balance between avoiding accidental, large-scale actions without requiring complex configuration options.
That sounds like a reasonable proposal to me. Omni could give us a plist option we could write with the defaults command if we wanted to keep the current behavior. But what about deletion via the "-" button at the bottom of the sidebar? Does that need confirmation as well? Or should it be the "delete, no questions asked" option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
But what about deletion via the "-" button at the bottom of the sidebar? Does that need confirmation as well? Or should it be the "delete, no questions asked" option?
I'd tend to make the button delete with no confirmation. I'm far less likely to accidentally click a button than I am to accidentally hit a key while trying to type too fast. Also, if I click a button and something bad happens, I'm more likely to notice it immediately and be able to undo it.

Curt