The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New event on enter? [A: Feature request; hit Esc. key to prevent new row.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I'm new to OmniFocus. One thing that bothers me is that when I add a new event and push enter, it creates a new blank event immediately after. I've tried to train myself not to push enter as soon as I type a new event but It just feels to natural. I couldn't find any settings to disable this "feature". Is it configurable?

Happy to help! The settings you're looking for are in the General pane of preferences.

Brian, which settings are those, exactly? There's one for the behavior in the Quick Entry window, but I'll bet the OP is talking about the general behavior in the regular outline view.

Thanks Brian, as whpalmer4 stated, I am not referring to the quick entry mode.

Oooohhh - guess who misread the original post? Apologies!

You guys are correct - will have to file that as a feature request. In the meantime, hitting escape instead of Return will get the results you're after, though I know that's not really the method you were asking for.

I would like to second this request, this is really annoying! I want to enter text on a new line so I hit return. I dont even create tasks this way, I click the Add Action button. I understand it would be quick for adding many tasks, but I dont often add many tasks in one go like this, and if I did Add Action is fine for me. BUT I do enter text in the task often with line returns. I keep forgetting to press Cmd + Return.

I am new to OFO as well -- and this tripped me up for a while (OK -- still does). What I found myself doing quickly was hitting "{Enter}, {Delete}". This is the same as "{Escape}". It's faster for me because I can touch-type the combination, whereas the "{Escape}" key is simply not one I use enough to even know which finger to use to press it.

I am a _long-time_ user of the superb Circus Ponies NoteBook (an outlining program at heart). "Cells" in NoteBook are in many ways similar to Actions in OFO. NoteBook has a preference for setting the behavior of "{Enter}":
- Add a new line in the cell
- End editing the cell and select it
- Add a new cell below the current cell
Perhaps the OFO developers could implement something similar.