The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

NOT A BUG:Each sync from Mac adds a new .client file to OmniFocus database Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been checking my OmniFocus database on my iDisk occasionally ever since I learned about the relationship between .client files and the size of the database.

When I checked it today, the database was huge, with about thirty .client files. I cleared them up and my database shrunk, but after some testing it appears as though each time my Mac syncs, it makes a new .client file. Is this a bug? I'm not sure when it started happening, since I don't check it every day.

We fixed the bug involving way too many .client files. Now it's okay to have multiple .client files for the same machine, so long as they all start with a number like 20080729212028. (That's actually a date string -- 9:20:28 PM on July 29, 2008.) Each client manages its own .client files and will generally only keep about two of these around. When it deletes those older .client files, it will also generally shrink your database a little. Don't worry about your .client files unless you are also experiencing other problems.

Ah, okay—getting rid of the 30+ client files drastically shrunk my database, but going forward I shouldn't see that many. Is that right?

Correct. 2-3 per machine. So if you sync a desktop, a laptop, and an iPhone, don't worry if you've got about 9 client files.

I'm not sure this is fixed: I sync 1 Mac and my iPhone and I have 16 client files. I am running the latest Mac and iPhone builds and about a week ago I removed the database from my iDisk, synced a fresh copy from the Mac, reset database on phone and resynced when I was having trouble with slow syncs, which I think was after this bug was supposed to be fixed.

The files all seem to have the correct naming structure though.