The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New to Mac & OSX: OO & OF with Mail.app and iCall or Office 2007 (on Fusion) or Offic Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
FWIW, I do all my writing in the excellent BBEdit. It's a plain text editor, but like sylvaticus mentioned, writing and design are two different tasks. I like the separation.

Besides, virtually all of my writing gets published to the web anyway, so having it as plain text in BBEdit makes it all the easier to add markup later on (in fact, BBEdit excels at this).

I'll also throw in a plug for OmniOutliner. Like sylvaticus, I tend to think hierarchically and love how easy it is to "pour" out ideas with OO. I'm often torn between BBEdit and OmniOutliner when choosing a tool at the beginning of a project. I guess that's a good problem to have though. :-)

-Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for the input. I looked at BBEdit, but just couldn't justify the price. I know tons of OS X coders love it! I have OO, so perhaps that will help for that hierarchical writing, and then TextEdit, Dreamweaver, Pages, and InDesign will complete the picture.

Sheesh...how many writing applications does one man need? Je m'accuse! LOL!

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvaticus View Post
Thanks for the input. I looked at BBEdit, but just couldn't justify the price. I know tons of OS X coders love it!
Oh, yeah, you're absolutely right, Keith. The price of BBEdit is rather steep if you don't spend your day in a text editor. But if you do a lot of web-related work, write code, or need powerful plain text processing, BBEdit is a great choice. Otherwise, it's probably overkill, especially if you already have a full stable of other writing apps to suit your needs. ;-)

On the other hand, there is also a free version of BBEdit called Text Wrangler that seems to keep a lot of people satisfied. It packs more text-processing-punch than the very basic TextEdit, but still might be unnecessary for your needs (especially since you already have Dreamweaver).

-Dennis

Funny you should mention it: I installed TextWrangler, but have never really needed to you use it! :-)

Keith