The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Impossible Repeating Problem? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As near as I can figure OF won't let me make this complicated, but not unrealistic, repeating project. Let's call it "Pay Mortgage" with the following steps:

1. Transfer money to checking
2. Write and mail check
3. Call bank and verify payment

It's clearly a Sequential project and I want to do it every month. While I might just make the overall project repeat, let's suppose I would like:

1. Transfer money to checking (start=25th, due=28th)
2. Write and mail check (start=31st, due=1st)
3. Call bank and verify payment (start=5th, due=10th)

[Ideally, step 3 would start 5 days after step 2 was complete but I *know* I can't do that]

I know I can make each action repeating but will it stay correctly sequential (e.g., will step 3 remain unavailable on the 6th if step 2 is still NOT complete)?

I assume setting the Project to "mark complete when last item complete" is a bad thing here? (Therefore this Project will always be active, which I don't like).

And won't this project go haywire if for some reason I don't complete all the actions one month?

Is there any way to do something like this? Or is just a stupid example?

Thanks,
Robert

Group it, make the group repeat and set the group to complete when the last action is completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh26 View Post
I know I can make each action repeating but will it stay correctly sequential (e.g., will step 3 remain unavailable on the 6th if step 2 is still NOT complete)?
Yes.

Quote:
I assume setting the Project to "mark complete when last item complete" is a bad thing here? (Therefore this Project will always be active, which I don't like).
No, that's what you want.

Quote:
And won't this project go haywire if for some reason I don't complete all the actions one month?
Yes, repeats rely on the repeating thing being completed to create the next instance.

Quote:
Is there any way to do something like this? Or is just a stupid example?
OF isn't magic. You have to regularly review your lists to make sure you're actually completing the items on them instead of letting them slip through the cracks.

If you're worried about the repeats not being created, one approach is just to create a year's worth of Pay the Mortgage projects, plus a single action 12 months off to create another year's worth. You can use my Populate Template Placeholders script to do that.

Curt