The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Appointments Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to use OmniFocus for scheduling appointments?

The general approach is to not use OF, but rather use iCal (or similar). If there are a list of things that I need to do before the appointment, then I will put them in OF as actions, but the actual appointment reminder lives in iCal.

I just made a few tests, sadly you cannot even link one to the other (an ical entry to an action or vice versa).
Could be a nice feature, have to think about this...

Has this been fixed?

It's a MAJOR flaw in an otherwise great program

I would also really love this.

As it is, I want my appointments showing in my workload in OmniFocus, and I also want them in iCal, and in the calendar on my phone.

So I go through an elaborate process to get them there:

- I mark hard-date actions with a Calendar, with the Dute date set to the right date and time, plus I include the time in the action's text.
- I sync that context into an iCal calendar named, well, Calendar.
- I go into iCal and view only the Calendar calendar and show the ToDo list.
- I go through the To Do list, clicking on the items one by one. When I click an item, it pops up the day for the item. I visually check to see if it's already there, and if it's not, I drag it in and, if appropriate, add repeaters and alarms.
- As I drag each ToDo into the calendar, I delete it.

Whee! This does, admittedly, only take about ten minutes once a week, plus manually entering the occasional new-and-imminent meeting into both OmniFocus and iCal, but I'd rather not need to do it.

Gardener

I agree with the requests for iCal appointments showing up in OmniFocus. It's very seldom that I need iCal. In fact, I can go for over a week sometimes without looking at it. But I have OmniFocus up and running ALL the time.

Though the original suggestion may not have been GTD-kosher, I think the bigger point is that OF has become our "activity hub." And that hub includes not only pre-actions for a meeting, but the meeting itself.

My solution for now is to post meetings in both iCal and in OF. But it would sure be nice if I could post a meeting in iCal and then those iCal events were nicely imported into OF. It would save a decent amount of time and allow me to better "focus" on getting my work done.