The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Web Interface Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can't run the web interface.
I know this is alpha, but as I haven't seen the same problem on the forum and it seems to work for others, so I thought I would ask.

Here is what I did:
Activated the web interface in Omnifocus preferences
Clicked on the 'View in browser' button
Filled the authentication box in Safari (it works, because if I don't enter the right login / pass, the box come back and ask them to me again)

I get this error:
Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “http://192.168.0.67:3000/” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection, which sometimes occurs when the server is busy. You might be able to open the page later.

And, sometimes, if I refresh, this one:
Safari can’t connect to the server.
Safari can’t open the page “http://192.168.0.67:3000/” because it could not connect to the server “192.168.0.67”.

192.168.0.67 is indeed my IP.
My firewall is turned off. Web server is on.
I'm using Safari 3.0.2 beta, with 10.4.10.
I have the same problem with the last version of OmniWeb and Firefox.

Here is the console log.

2007-07-09 09:03:39.700 OmniFocus[13096] Uninstalling OmniFocus Web Interface...
2007-07-09 09:03:39.701 OmniFocus[13096] Removing '/Users/me/Library/LaunchAgents/com.omnigroup.omnifocus.web_interface.plist'...
2007-07-09 09:03:39.945 OmniFocus[13096] Removing '/Users/me/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Web Interface'...
2007-07-09 09:03:53.847 OmniFocus[13096] Uninstalling OmniFocus Web Interface...
2007-07-09 09:03:53.848 OmniFocus[13096] Installing OmniFocus Web Interface...
2007-07-09 09:03:58.747 Terminal[24511] duration 0.195902
2007-07-09 09:04:05.725 Terminal[24511] duration 0.195902
launchd[170]: com.omnigroup.omnifocus.web_interface: exited abnormally: Abort trap
launchd[170]: com.omnigroup.omnifocus.web_interface: 9 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal

Any ideas?

I was seeing similar up until a few minutes ago. See if this fixes it:
1) Make sure you're running build Revision: 88829 or later
2) stop the web interface
3) quit omnifocus
4) launch omnifocus
5) start up the web interface

if that doesn't work, please send us an email. Thanks!

I'm trying to get this web interfrace/iphone thing working so I can view things on my shiny new phone, but am getting stuck.

Everything shows up on the browser using Omniweb but I can't figure out how to get into it from the iphone. Actiontec (the qwest dsl modem guys) has a port forwarding feature that they said would work great in combination with the router's "public ip address". I forwarded port 3000 (and 300) just in case but am really not sure what I'm doing!

Would not the address from the iphone be: publicipaddress:3000?

Dennis - do you have a static IP address or a dynamically assigned one (your ISP will tell you this if you don't know)? If it is static, then you can set up port forwarding on your router and access the OF web interface with ease once you have determined the static IP address of your router (info from your ISP should tell you this, but it can also be obtained using a dashboard widget called IP Widget).

If you have a dynamically assigned IP address, you will need to use a service such as No-IP.com to obtain a static address that you can use:

http://www.no-ip.com/

For people with problem similar to mine (cf. post 41): a reboot fixed it.

While I did actually run across this tip while waiting for my OF alpha invite to arrive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
This seems to be working fine for us, but you do have to scroll with two fingers rather than just one or it doesn't scroll at all. (No, we don't think that's intuitive or ideal, and we're still working with it.)
…I went through several days of frustration with using the web interface on my iPhone before I found this again (and then remembered having read it earlier). In the absence of any manual or FAQ at this early stage, I think this is an essential point to keep up top in the OmniFocus forum.

Thanks.

J

Could someone point me to the post that explains how to use the web interface? The full text search doesn't search for three-letter words, and searches for "iPhone" and other guesses at co-occurring terms are not bringing up what I want.

(By the way, Omni, MySQL lets you change the minimum indexable word length from 3 to 4, and I bet vBulletin does also.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Crunch View Post
Could someone point me to the post that explains how to use the web interface? The full text search doesn't search for three-letter words, and searches for "iPhone" and other guesses at co-occurring terms are not bringing up what I want.

(By the way, Omni, MySQL lets you change the minimum indexable word length from 3 to 4, and I bet vBulletin does also.)
AFAIK, there is NOTHING that explains how to use the interface, but I also recall seeing that the web interface is not even an OF 1.0 "target feature" i.e. they know it's really creaky and they just can't afford the resources to get it "live" for the initial version.

What did you want to know? The basics I can think of are that, once installed by turning it on in preferences and assigning your choice of username/password, the WebInterface (that should be indexable, right? ;-) is accessible at http://YourIP:11872 (i.e. by pointing mobile Safari to the IP address of the machine running your copy of OmniFocus using port 11872).

From there, it's a bit rough but largely intuitive. The problem requiring two-finger scrolling was fixed maybe a month ago, but my lingering issues include the inability to limit the display to "flagged" items and the general lack of any functions other than displaying what's in each context group, correctly "completing" those actions I check off, and accepting new input (with a text entry field that is EXTREMELY function-limited, e.g. the "text loupe" one would expect anywhere else on the iPhone is NOT accessible). Now, don't get me wrong, those three functions are absolutely HUGE for me, but it's clear that the WebInterface has a LONG, LONG, LOOOONNNNGGGG way to go before it's ready for prime-time ;-)

Hope that helps...

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty Crunch View Post
Try here: http://scotaganda.com/omni/index.php..._web_interface

This is part of an "Unofficial OmniFocus Documentation Wiki" set up a while back by one of the forum members (not me). http://scotaganda.com/omni/index.php?title=Main_Page

Unfortunately, I don't know (because I don't use a web interface) whether it still works or not, given the daily changes to OF, but it might be a place to start.

Also unfortunately (IMHO), not many people contributed to the wiki, so it never really took off the way it could have if more people had participated.