The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is there a way to hide active projects with no tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I guess the subject says most of it. I have a number of projects that are single action lists, which have no items which are currently available (they have start dates in the future). Problem is, in this view, I see bars for all the projects, and it really clutters the screen.

They don't show up on the iPhone, and if I am in context view and group by project they don't show up there, either. I'd just prefer to work in project view.

Note, putting the projects with no active items on hold or something isn't really an acceptable option, as that requires manual intervention (changing what I view manually) to view them.

Thanks!

How often do you have projects/SALs switching between actions and no actions? If the list is relatively stable, you could keep a perspective that just selects the projects that do have actions and work out of that. I think you could adapt Curt's Verify Next Actions script to take the selected contents of the sidebar and deselect everything that didn't have any actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
How often do you have projects/SALs switching between actions and no actions? If the list is relatively stable, you could keep a perspective that just selects the projects that do have actions and work out of that. I think you could adapt Curt's Verify Next Actions script to take the selected contents of the sidebar and deselect everything that didn't have any actions.
(I noticed I posted this in the iPhone forum when it's a desktop question... maybe a moderator could move...).

But anyway, I have no idea how often they switch. That is to say, they are all active projects, and all of them have some "to do" items in them, but which aren't available because I've used the start date to "hide" them from the active view. These are for work; and are specific customers that I manage and help track projects, etc. Right now, I have a SAL per customer, and track all action items there.

They are really more like "Areas" than they are Projects in the GTD sense, frankly. The only "completion" would be if my territory changes.

What I was trying to ascertain is if that list is likely to be static over the course of a day, or if you'd have to recompute it over and over again. I don't know how big your database is; with mine, the script I cobbled together as a test takes a few minutes to run, and would be acceptable if I only had to run it once, but not so great if I needed it updated hourly. if you always use the same start time, it wouldn't be such a big deal, but if you have things coming to life all throughout the day, you would need to recompute more often, or use a different perspective (context grouped by start date, probably) to check for such things in between runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Note, putting the projects with no active items on hold or something isn't really an acceptable option, as that requires manual intervention (changing what I view manually) to view them.
What about setting the project/SAL's start date to the earliest start date of any of the contained actions? Then you could view Active projects in the sidebar and skip seeing the bars for projects/SALs that didn't have anything available. Again, a script could be cobbled together that automated this. I know this involves a step to toggle between views, but I'm a bit puzzled by why it's a problem to see them in the outline but not in the sidebar...

In any case, if you want a script-free solution, be sure to use Help->Send Feedback to ask for it.