The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniweb newbie!! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have just started to use Omniweb and am so far rather impressed.

I do have a couple of questions. I would like to know how many times a year a new release of Omniweb comes out. It seems as upgrades cost $5 my initial payment of $15 plus any new releases could add up. I come from a Linux background and it is hard for me to pay for software. I do like how Linux will give you a complete operating system( a rather good one at that loaded with apps for free!!) I have paid for some Linux OS and do not mind when you consider the amount of development and use you can get out of it. The cost was ussually nominal and subsequent releases were ussually free at least within the same calendar year.

I also like how some simply just ask for donations. Or give you a pretty good version with some features not enabled unless you buy.

I love my Mac and so far love Omniweb but I have a very hard time paying for a browser. No disrespect intended. I like the fact that it is affordable. I do think $10 would be better and a lisence that would last a year with free upgrades in the time frame. Maybe the lisence is good for a year. I am new so I do not know.

If someone could let me know I would appreciate it. I am going to use this browser for the remaining days I have left exclusively and see how I feel about it. I have used Shiira and sunrise browser and they are free. They work very well in terms of speed. I think Shiira is pretty good although it can be unstable. Firefow and Seamonkey are also very nice. Opera works well too. All of these choices are free.

I am not against charging for software as I see there are a host of other products Omniweb offers. I just think the browser could be free and a good way to promote the other products Omniweb has.

Anyway, depending on how my test run goes and the answer for upgrades in a year I may just buy!!

Robzilla

There are tons of incremental upgrades, many times a year. I'm not sure how many they've had this year, but you can go through the forum and see people griping about something and pretty soon there's a new version of OmniWeb. You may be interested to know that OmniWeb actually started its life as a NeXT application around 1994, so the "version 5" thing's a little misleading.

As far as payment goes, your license goes for version 5. So far, all the upgrades from version 5 have been free, and I think that's gonna be the policy until version 6. Does that clear it up?

Now, when you're talking free, you've got to look at what the browser does. I'm into web development and blog-making, so I'm rather cranky about browsers that crash with a text field full of text. With OW, all my fields get saved, all my open tabs are saved through sessions, meaning I can close the app and open it and all my tabs are back where they were before, and it's a lot more robust than any other WebKit app. There's a lot of other, small things that make it worth the price, but you can get away with any browser just for general use.

And writing this on a gigantic text box instead of a tiny quick reply window is just another of the small touches I love.

MacStansbury,

If this is release 5 then how many more 5.xx are there? There could be 5.4 then 6.0? I guess what I am saying is will I buy this browser and then shortly after have to upgrade? If version 5 has been out a for a while then it would be logical to assume that it won't be around much longer. I hate designed obsilesance(spelling). Seems everything is designed that way but it still bothers me!

As for features I am pretty simple. I do not do web developing or anything special. What I would like most is a secure browser that will not get hacked and I really like the feature on Firefox and Opera where one click will get rid of your cookies, flush your cache and clear your history! It would be really cool to have that feature in Omniweb. The other thing I like just like you is stability. It is frustrating to have the browser crash! Then finally I like speed. Anything that renders pages faster is a plus for me. So far I have found that OW is fast on some pages and slow on others. Time will tell.

Thanks for your reply!

Robzilla

OmniGroup's policy is to charge for major upgrades (with a lower update fee charged to all prior owners), so version 4.0 was pay for, 5.0 was pay for and 6.0 will be pay for.

Version 4 was released pretty much the same time as OS X 10.0 (which is, what, over 6 years ago now?). Version 5 was first released as a beta in Feb 2004 and after several betas, went final in Aug 2004.

Since then there have been several 5.x and 5.x.x upgrades (all free).

You can see the timeline in the release notes.

I've been a paid user of OmniWeb since version 4.0.6 (IIRC) which was released in 2001 or early 2002. I paid the Education discount price of $20* for it at the time (subsequently, OmniGroup has lowered the price they charge for OmniWeb to the $15 you will pay - it used to be $30). With 2 major upgrades at $10 a shot, I have paid a total of $40 for using OmniWeb for over 5 years. Not too onerous for the software, after the OS itself, that I use the most on my system (i.e. most days, and certainly every time I use my computer).

* all figures rounded up to nearest whole dollar.

Last edited by JKT; 2007-03-06 at 11:18 PM..