The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to turn off line "snapping"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm overwhelmed with OmniGraffle 3.2 which I use occasionally to create various diagrams etc. to illustrate stuff.
However, one very frustrating thing is when I create a line, then move the mouse to where I want that line to turn it sort of "wiggles" or "snaps" into a certain place. Very irritating as I want to freely place it wherever I want.

I've looked up the "Lines" inspector as well as "Magnets" as two obvious choices, but can't for my life figure out how to turn this feature off. Anyone?
Thanks.

Upgrading to OG 4 is well worth the price because the inspectors are considerably improved.

You need to turn off either one of two things (or both). Either turn off the "snap to grid" option for objects, or "allow connections to other objects". I'm on OG 4, so I don't know where these options are in 3. I have a feeling that it is the former that you want to disable.

Payam

In OG 4, you can hold down 'Option' while dragging a line endpoint to disable its tendency to snap to magnets and shapes, and you can hold down 'Command' while dragging to disable (or toggle) the automatic alignment guides. I'm pretty sure these keys were available in OG 3 as well, but I don't know offhand.

I finally figured it out!!!

The "inspector" I needed to look into was the one named Magnets.
The boxes the I want to join together with a line snap to different parts of the next box according to where I drag the line.

The trick is to change the placement of the magnets, so the line doesn't "snap" to where you don't want them:

1) click once on the box you'll connect the line to
2) Go to "Inspectors" -"Magnets"

3) Change where the magnets are placed by selecting a different placement layout (the blue boxes on the right hand side).
For example, change to a setup with fewer magnets.
You may also manually add or remove magnets (use the + and - buttons) and manually move the magnets to where you want the line to "snap" to.

Other tricks for placing a line to a specific section of a box:
1) First join the boxes together. Don't mind where the line connects
2) click once on the line, selecting it
3) now click and drag on the green dot at the end of the line (or red dot at the start of the line) and drag it to where you want. You can "snap" it to the closest magnet.

If you want to connect the line anywhere to a box:
1) turn off the magnets (remove the tick next to "Enable connections"
2) The line will no longer "snap" to specific parts of the box
It will however "snap" at specific intervals because of the grid, making it easy to make a neat, aligned connection.
3) If you want to place the line absolutely anywhere you want, be sure to turn off the "snap to grid" function as well ("Inspectors"-"Grid").

Anyone got anything else to add?
Hopefully others reading this won't struggle as long as I have.