The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multiple issues that won't go away Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been syncing 3 macs and an iPod since early August. This is to a WebDav server (OSX Leopard server).

I'm on my 3rd iteration of difficulties. The primary one is that my database file keeps expanding (now at > 1MB, again). I've tried all the usual remedies, such as archiving old events, and rebuilding the database.

There are other strange symptoms, as well: I have 3 macs being synced, but when I go into the "Clients" panel, only two of them show up (and, it is not always the same two!).

Last time I had these difficulties, about two weeks ago, I compacted the database using the backup/restore hint. That worked, but the question is, why are all my databases just growing again? I'm back to the point of having 24 zipfiles in the ofocus document, they won't go away.

I can run the "coalesce" script now (which seems to do about the same as the backup/restore) - but, I'm afraid, the problems will just come back in 1-2 weeks. When my database gets this big, the iPod/iPhone version gets unusable - it takes a minute or more to start up.

Suggestions welcome!
Morgan

Last edited by mcgurme; 2008-09-06 at 06:10 AM..

After posting, I ran the "Coalesce database" script.

On the mac end, things seem ok (except for the missing client).

However, on the iPod, things are hopeless now ... I got a "updating with synced information" that remained for 10 minutes (I kept tapping the screen to keep the iPod awake). It never changed, so I had to kill it.

Now, it just says "Loading....," with zero progress, for 5 mins...

Morgan

As mentioned elsewhere on these forums, there's still a known issue with having more than 2 clients syncing preventing your data from coalescing automatically. You will need to run CoalesceDatabase periodically until we have the opportunity to address it properly.

The other thing with one client sometimes not appearing sounds like it may be the duplicate client ID bug. See http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9697

Should I be running the coalesce script on all of my machines or just one? I've tried running it on just my work machine, but the file on my home machine never seems to trim down.