The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniOutliner 4 and iPad (Updated 7/23/10) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
i have the desktop app. i use a macbook pro, and have no wishes or desire to buy or use an iPad. that's my choice, and i'm very happy for people who do choose to use an iPad. what i am NOT doing is posting all over the place telling developers not to bother with the iPad because i use the desktop version. i'm sure that the developer team at Omni are sensible enough to ignore these kind of selfish imprecations.

There are features that users of the desktop application have been waiting for, and promised, for years but some of you seem to think it should be dropped, because apple brings out a shiny new executive toy.

of course an iPad version is desirable for its users, but why the hell should it be at the expense of the desktop version.

Last edited by kened; 2010-09-11 at 03:02 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kened View Post

There are features that users of the desktop application have been waiting for, and promised, for years but some of you seem to think it should be dropped, because apple brings out a shiny new executive toy.
Really? What features have been promised? Plenty of "we'd like to" but they seem to avoid making promises.

I'm not sure why you think Omni has an obligation to ship OO4 first, just because OO predates the iPad. This is a business. If business considerations mean that OO for iPad should ship first, that's what they should do. Likewise, if business considerations mean that OO4 should ship first, that's what they should do. Who has been waiting longer should only be a factor insofar as it affects the business case.
Quote:
of course an iPad version is desirable for its users, but why the hell should it be at the expense of the desktop version.
Because they have more things they want to do than resources with which to do them, they have to make hard choices about what to do, and when. No matter what they choose, there will always be unhappy customers who think they are getting the short end of the stick. Those of us who want both OO for iPad and OO4, for example, seem likely to encounter some frustration as scheduling tradeoffs are made.

So... The original "iPad or Bust" blog post indicated that plans were to have the iPad version of OmniOutliner out during Summer, 2010. Summer is officially over one week from today.

Would someone at Omni be so kind as to provide an update? I'm sure that the dates have been pushed back, but I would like to know the general neighborhood in which my expectations might find a home.

Thanks.

well, i might have known that if i stuck my head above the parapet someone would take a pot shot at it.
Quote:
Really? What features have been promised? Plenty of "we'd like to" but they seem to avoid making promises.
well, text zooming for one. for years.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you think Omni has an obligation to ship OO4 first, just because OO predates the iPad. This is a business. If business considerations mean that OO for iPad should ship first, that's what they should do. Likewise, if business considerations mean that OO4 should ship first, that's what they should do. Who has been waiting longer should only be a factor insofar as it affects the business case.
i don't think Omni has any obligation to ship anything first. (did you actually read what i wrote before quoting it?)

what i object to is other users posting to this forum and telling omni which product they should be working on first. it was precisely my point. The company has already made a public commitment to the development of an upgraded desktop application. I object to posters here trying to undermine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by costmo View Post
Would someone at Omni be so kind as to provide an update? I'm sure that the dates have been pushed back, but I would like to know the general neighborhood in which my expectations might find a home.
See the Omni blog for an update that Ken posted tonight.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
See the Omni blog for an update that Ken posted tonight.
Late Q4 2010....aarrrrggggh. That pretty much means New Year's Day 2011.

If the iPad wasn't so great, I'd be kicking myself for not buying an Air instead.

Quick question. It was not totally clear for me if by Late Q4, we will have as well OO version 4. Or is it only the iPad refresh? I've been waiting for ever for OO 4. Thanks for the clarification.

I can't believe it: DEVONThink actually got their product into the iTunes store before OmniGroup got OmniOutliner in.

The only rationalization for this is that DEVON did it quickly—and in fact, they did omit a BUNCH of very important features—whereas OmniGroup is planning to "do it right." Hope so.

I'm still going nuts waiting for OO to come to the iPad.

I couldn't care less about OO4. I just want OO on my iPad. And replication would be nice. (That's something else that DEVONThink has that NO ONE else has. We haven't had decent replication—true cloning on an OOP level so that every clone is merely a pointer—since InfoSelect.)

Go, team Omni! You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
I can't believe it: DEVONThink actually got their product into the iTunes store before OmniGroup got OmniOutliner in.

The only rationalization for this is that DEVON did it quickly—and in fact, they did omit a BUNCH of very important features—whereas OmniGroup is planning to "do it right." Hope so.

I'm still going nuts waiting for OO to come to the iPad.

I couldn't care less about OO4. I just want OO on my iPad.
I agree 100%. The current features set of OO is more than adequate for me. But not having it on the iPad is getting every day more difficult to bear... especially since there's virtually no competition.

I recently wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
I'm still going nuts waiting for OO to come to the iPad. I couldn't care less about OO4. I just want OO on my iPad.
As of last Friday, I have officially given up: I went out and bought the new MacBook Air, installed OmniOutliner on it, and put my work outline in Dropbox.

Sorry, Ken, but it's been over six months since my original post in the Forums Feedback forum about this on 2010-03-10, 12:54 PM. That's too long a wait.

I'll of course get OO4 when it comes out; it will probably be great. But I won't be using it on my iPad. That dream is just taking too long to come true. Have to move on.