The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

multiple databases Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,
I'd like to keep my private tasks separated from my professional tasks, for obvious reasons.
How can I switch between database_private and database_professional on my iPhone ?
My database_professional would sync with my office Mac.
My database_private would sync with my home Mac.

Having the ability to have like two omnifocus applications on the iPhone, each one syncing with other another database on another Mac would be OK as well.
Please advise.

OmniFocus was originally designed around a one-user, one-database workflow. Since we shipped OmniFocus 1 back in 2007, we've gotten this request from a few folks. It doesn't seem to be the way that most customers want to use the app, though - that's why it hasn't been added yet.

That said, one of the things we'd like to do in the future is make OmniFocus easier to use in team-based environments. (Some tasks are shared but some are private.) Once we get that feature in place, this sort of thing will also be easier to do. At the moment, though, it's not possible. Sorry!

There's nothing except inconvenience stopping you from switching databases on the fly, so long as you always have Internet connectivity. You do have to be sure to sync before switching every time or you will lose changes! Sync, then configure to sync to a different sync database, wait for the database to download, remember you wanted to do something in the other database, sync, configure to sync the other database, wait for it to download, etc. Easy and fun, right? :-)

Is it an actual requirement to keep the data separate, or just something that appeals to your desire to have things neatly organized? If you just don't want to see your personal actions when working on professional matters, and vice versa, it is possible to organize your projects and perspectives accordingly. The basic technique is to segregate the two into separate folders, then make perspectives that focus on one of the folders. You'll only see the actions from projects contained in the focused folder.