The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Text Scaling and Graffle as an IXD Document Tool Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello Omni,

At the studio I work at we have decided to look at (and start using) Omni Graffle Pro as our Wireframing and Designing tool for creating Interaction design and user interface documentation, moving away from Adobe Illustrator.

There are a couple of things that I want to ask about that I'm Struggling with or finding frustrating, I want to know if Im getting something wrong or if the feature isnt available.

Scaling of text

First thing is the Scaling of text. Frequently we will create wireframes at actual screen size on mobile, based on some fantastic stencil kits. this is great for looking at and specifying detailed wireframes.

Then, we put these into a flow to be able to document the user's journey when they carry out a task or fulfil a user story.

I just want to be able to select all> and then scale my screen down to a third of its size so I can fit a 4-5 screen flow on 1 canvas.

Text does not seem to scale, and my workaround (Exporting the selection and bringing back in) causes quality problems and also means its difficult to edit the document for subsequent revisions.

How do I scale font text? Is it possible? This is a bit of a killer for us right now and Im determined to solve, because I think Graffle could be the best option for our design documents. I love the tab feature, looking forward to getting that sorted so we can just tab around our docs to enter text.

Importing Shapes.
I'm Finding Graffle isn't good for drawing new elements, I'm wondering if anyone knows the best way to get shapes out of Illustrator so they appear in graffle as separate elements, without copy and pasting one by one.
Stencil kits:

When Creating new stencils, How do I make the shape appear smaller in the stencil inspector than it is when it lands on the page. For example I have a kit with a HTC Hero Frame which is much smaller than when it appears on the page. I want to do this too with similar screen/phone sized frames.
Looking forward to getting involved with graffle more and seeing what it can do.

Welcome to the wonderful world of OmniGraffle (I am just a contributor, no domain ownership intended).

1 Text Scaling
You might find this thread useful. Suggest you read the whole thread.

Quote:
2 I'm Finding Graffle isn't good for drawing new elements
I find it brilliant for drawing new elements. In fact, I found drawing new elements, complex objects, creating stencils, etc much easier in OG; you get to specify far more (eg. magnets) and end up with cleaner elements and objects. I abandoned Illustrator about five years ago.

3 Stencil Magnification
The magnification that the stencil is rendered in is that which is set when the Stencil is saved. Grab a stencil, and edit it (if it is one of the "master" stencils, OG will automatically copy it; you can also Stencil/New. Change the objects, set the magnification, and save. The stencil shown as a stencil (rather than the Edit doc) is proportionately smaller to the Edit doc, and the magnification that the stencil was saved as.

A word of advice. Stencils are great, and there are thousands of them. The main and common problem with them is, they do not reasonably qualify as stencils, they are just drawings. For stencils to be useful as stencils:
• the objects must be carefully drawn
• relative object sizes must be correct
• magnets must be relevant to the type of drawing
• grid alignment must be carefully thought out and set
• and standards that apply to the type of drawing must be implemented in the stencil.
So choose your stencils carefully, and after your have gained some experience fixing problems with the stencil objects, edit the stencil and make your own.

Enjoy

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-05-18 at 04:44 AM..