The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PASSWORD/DATA PROTECTION REQUEST (Please Sign) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
I agree Amilius. I sent this in a couple years ago, but can only imagine how many things OmniGroup gets asked for.

I would want more than password, but encryption. Especially if it's going to be in the cloud.

There is a level of GTD where it becomes more than the old fashioned grocery list. Once you start putting in your dreams, your ideas for new things to bring into the world, business ideas or relationship issues you are working through, the data becomes much more personal and important.

This is why I don't sync to any server, because it's wide open for anyone to look at.

There are many companies that wouldn't allow using OmniFocus because of the security issues.

You think apple is using it to map out the things to do for the next product?
You think they are syncing to the OmniFocus company server?

I've personally had odd occurrences happen at work where things on my action list are brought up, ideas taken before I have a chance to work them out. It's gotten to the point where I have my work OmniFocus database separate from my personal database, because i keep a lot of personal projects and ideas seperate. I have to choose which database I want on the iPhone, which is unfortunate, because then I don't have a way to capture ideas that are not work related. I keep the work database on the work computer and home database at home.

It's odd there is such a great reaction against this? Way more energy fighting against something that wouldn't affect a user if they didn't want to use it?

Makes you wonder about those posting with such vim and vigor against this idea? :)

Either they work for OmniGroup and don't want to put the effort into the change
Or
They are getting fed off others OmniFocus database
Or
They are really bored

I've heard on one of David's podcast that he uses a blackberry due to security issues with the iPhone.
Thank you SpiralOcean, excellent points. Yes I really want them to do encryption but it appears that might be asking too much from them according to others. I was al the least hoping for a password protection option. I have that option on a simple text app program yet when it involves my most "personal and important" information to my heart I'm Sh!t outta luck. (Thanks Omnifocus).

I wish other GTD'rs that took David's classes or read the books and did the system would jump on the bandwagon instead of the Apple-trains like it was the final solution of their needs. GTD is much more vital and important to not have encryption.

I guess what I have to do is take what I learned and build my own OF app and compete. I'd sell it for half the cost of OF and include an option for password protection and encryption. If you can't join them then beat them!

I used to be a die-hard Mac guy but because of what Apple is starting to implement with iCloud and the new iOS (especially the new OSX) it's becoming clear that they are turning their users into Facebook-ified zombies. After all the "i" in iOS, iMac, the iPhone, the iPad and iCloud is not just an acronym for its system but philosophy that the user is the small i -- a cog in the wheel of their business plan. They used to be the Rebel Alliance but have turned into the Empire. A case in point: Final Cut Pro--newer version has conflict with XML files, every other platform handles them. It's crap as far as for editing. I have editor friends that are switching back to PC. I'm thinking the same as all these Apple devices are just not worth the exorbitant price tag anymore. No flash on devices. Apple has their way or the high way. Something tells me that Omnifocus has been swayed to this dark side.

For those doubting thomas' regarding this info just scan through www.patentlyapple.com/ and see where the future of Apple is going with users and their lives and privacy will be forever modified with this technology.

Good ones. Did you see this one:

Apple bans researcher for app exposing iOS security flaw Flaw lets malware run on iPhones, iPads
By John Cox, Network World
November 08, 2011 12:00 PM ET
http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...ug-252886.html

--A security flaw that Apple purposely let happen.

Apple used to be very secure on Unix and PowerPC, then went to Intel and now using iOS. Seems like things keep getting more and more diluted and weak. Of course Apple doesn't want to reveal this truth cause that would destroy the myth. So they ploy their users with diversions like Twitter/Facebook integration and Game Center built right into the system to keep the shell game going.

So much for security...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amilius View Post
I guess what I have to do is take what I learned and build my own OF app and compete. I'd sell it for half the cost of OF and include an option for password protection and encryption. If you can't join them then beat them!
Yes. This is what it boils down to. Accept what you have or build a better mousetrap. I've learned the state the software is what it is. There is a part of me that wants to improve, but there is a part of me that needs to accept it for what it is and love the current state.

It's always easier said than done. Easier to point out what is wrong or should be changed than doing the change.

To quote Truman's Speech at Shenandoah:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman;
You must have hardihood, courage, strength, the desire not to sit at home in ease and say how wrong the world has gone but the desire to go out and do your part to right it. You remember in 61 to 65 there was plenty to stay at home and say how poorly the war was being carried on, but the fellow that did the job was the man who went out and did his duty on the field of battle. That is the man that counts. And so it is now:
The man that counts in life is the man that goes out and tries to do the thing.
As for OmniGroup developing software based entirely on popular votes... I don't agree with that model. It's important to know what direction the users want the software to go, as that may affect sales, but more important is developing a product you are proud of. If companies only listened to the whining of the majority, we'd loose out on much of the inventions and progress that drive us forward.

We all know OmniFocus isn't made for businesses, if it was, it would have some level of encryption / password protection. Especially if you have all your personal stuff with your work stuff. You don't want your co-workers seeing your personal stuff, and your company doesn't want your business stuff available to your entire household. When OmniFocus is ready to step up to the next level, they'll include the password / encryption. Until then, it is what it is.

As for FCPX, it took courage to release a product so different from the previous version. Apple is attempting to jump ahead a couple years to see if they can develop a product that is ahead of what is already here. What most people don't see in the product is the incredible performance that is underneath the hood. Don't be fooled by the simplicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gretzky
skate to where the puck's going, not where it's been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amilius View Post
Good ones. Did you see this one:

Apple bans researcher for app exposing iOS security flaw Flaw lets malware run on iPhones, iPads
By John Cox, Network World
November 08, 2011 12:00 PM ET
http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...ug-252886.html

--A security flaw that Apple purposely let happen.

Apple used to be very secure on Unix and PowerPC, then went to Intel and now using iOS. Seems like things keep getting more and more diluted and weak. Of course Apple doesn't want to reveal this truth cause that would destroy the myth. So they ploy their users with diversions like Twitter/Facebook integration and Game Center built right into the system to keep the shell game going.

So much for security...
Apple hires iPhone hacker:
http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/26/app...allegra-comex/

Apple hires iPhone jailbrake developer:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ifications.ars

I am all for more security! I don't backup my database to the cloud or to the omni server. I have a lot of confidential information that would have hefty monetary penalties if they were disclosed publicly.

Those articles are odd. The issue mentioned (DMA over Firewire) was fixed in 10.7.2 So why the company issued that release after 10.7.3 shipped, when it has been fixed for 4+ months, is curious.

Oh, that's right, it's not. They're selling a $1000 toolkit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashultz View Post
I am all for more security! I don't backup my database to the cloud or to the omni server. I have a lot of confidential information that would have hefty monetary penalties if they were disclosed publicly.
Thanks Lashultz! This is the only response I got from Omni Group:

"Thanks for following up. You bring up completely valid concerns, and I've added your comments to the development database. Thanks again!

Sincerely,

J. B.
Support Ninja
Omni Group"

So we'll just see how much more demand they get until they get serious and implement it.

OF without synch is a partial solution, what makes it work for me is the multi-platform approach.

I don't (currently) have anything that is client confidential on OF, just my own notes and ideas, so sync via the omni server doesn't present a problem for me at the moment - I can see that it could in the future - even just from a 'due diligence' standpoint.

If I had the option of entering an encryption key (which I would have to do on all three devices - OF, iPad & Iphone) or leaving my data un-encrypted, I would choose the encryption option.

As OF files are zipped, how complex would it be to encrypt prior to sync?

The user could choose the complexity of the key from none(default) to a 256 byte complex alphanumeric with symbols (or something in between).

That said, there are some issues with encryption with zip files. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_(fi...at)#Encryption

I think that it is almost impossible these days to protect information from someone determined to get my specific data - what is appropriate is to make it harder for my data to be gathered as part of a wider sweep or harvest.

If the omni server got hacked and everybody's files copied - any criminal is likely to go through the plain text ones first leaving encrypted ones to the end. Assuming no security flaws that entirely defeat the key (Think WPA) if I have a very long and complex encryption key my data will be at the end of the list.

In summary:

+1 on the list for encryption of synched data.

If it's important to you that you have end-to-end responsibility for your data, you can run your own sync server and the problem is solved.