The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Omnifocus with Evernote Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Might be of interest:

http://blog.evernote.com/2011/06/15/...and-much-more/

Quote:
You can paste that link into just about anything—other notes, calendars, to-do lists, third party apps, etc. Whenever you click on the link, it’ll open the note.
 
Support for Note Links ROCKS! works great with OF on all platforms. :) Finally!
 
All,

I must say, finally being able to link a OF task to a granular Evernote note item is huge for me.

Example:
After taking detailed, handwritten meeting notes, I extract any next actions, then scan, title and tag the paper notes into Evernote for record keeping.

Then in the Next Action item note field, I establish a link to the scanned meeting notes. When I am ready to act on the action, boom, there are the complete notes, in context, ready for my review, as needed, to provide context.

It brings the filing system of Evernote to life. Being able to "reach in" and directly access a specific note has quite an impact.

I'd encourage OF power users to explore this and leverage it into the system.

And, as always, YMMV.

peace and love,

andy
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by policarpo View Post
Support for Note Links ROCKS! works great with OF on all platforms. :) Finally!
Evernote Note Links are indeed great.

Questions:
1) When clipping to OmniFocus Mac, is there a way for a Evernote Note Link to be added automatically to the Notes Field (just as it does for URL’s from Safari, for example)?
2) Is a plug-in needed?
3) Does it already so function and I am missing it?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarion View Post
Evernote Note Links are indeed great.

Questions:
1) When clipping to OmniFocus Mac, is there a way for a Evernote Note Link to be added automatically to the Notes Field (just as it does for URL’s from Safari, for example)?
2) Is a plug-in needed?
3) Does it already so function and I am missing it?
This does not seem to be the case. If you want the text of the note AND a link you need to paste the text and then go back to the note and copy the link and paste it to OF. I am finding that pasting the link is good enough, as when I click on it, the right note opens.

If I am wrong and there is a way to clip the note text and the link to the note all at the same time, someone holler.
 
I think you're right that it requires two steps and the clipper doesn't include the note URL as it does in, say, Safari. I would love it to so I'm writing to OmniFocus support: omnifocus@omnigroup.com

I think that's the only way they take feature requests so if you'd also like to be to clip from Evernote and have the link back to the note be included, go ahead and email them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
This does not seem to be the case. If you want the text of the note AND a link you need to paste the text and then go back to the note and copy the link and paste it to OF. I am finding that pasting the link is good enough, as when I click on it, the right note opens.

If I am wrong and there is a way to clip the note text and the link to the note all at the same time, someone holler.
 
Support was nice but didn't say they'd be implementing this, so I hacked together an AppleScript:

https://gist.github.com/1239959#file...mni_focus.scpt

Feel free to fork and improve upon it.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by turadg View Post
Support was nice but didn't say they'd be implementing this, so I hacked together an AppleScript:

https://gist.github.com/1239959#file...mni_focus.scpt

Feel free to fork and improve upon it.
This works very well. The only caveat is that the Evernote Note containing the task needs to by synchronized BEFORE the task section is highlighted. Otherwise there is a prompt asking to synchronized before making a notes link, and the OF task does not get the link generated. I tried to force synchronization in the script, but I think a delay needs to be put in before the copying of the Note link, and I have not figured out how to do it. If a note is synched all is well.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlad View Post
This works very well. The only caveat is that the Evernote Note containing the task needs to by synchronized BEFORE the task section is highlighted. Otherwise there is a prompt asking to synchronized before making a notes link, and the OF task does not get the link generated. I tried to force synchronization in the script, but I think a delay needs to be put in before the copying of the Note link, and I have not figured out how to do it. If a note is synched all is well.
I tweaked the code to pull from Evernote to look like this:

Code:
tell application "Evernote"
	set noteList to selection
	set currentEvernote to item 1 of noteList
	set theTitle to title of currentEvernote
	set theTaskNote to note link of currentEvernote
	if (theTaskNote is missing value) then
		synchronize
		repeat 6 times
			delay 0.25
			set theTaskNote to note link of currentEvernote
		       	if (theTaskNote is not missing value) then
				exit repeat
			end if
		end repeat
		if (theTaskNote is missing value) then
			display dialog "Sync was needed and is taking a while; dismiss me when sync is complete"
			set theTaskNote to note link of currentEvernote
		end if
	end if
	if (source URL of currentEvernote is not missing value) then
		set theTaskNote to source URL of currentEvernote & (return) & (return) & theTaskNote
	end if
end tell
This initiates a sync if the note link doesn't exist yet, checks for 1.5 seconds to see if the link was created, and then prompts with a dialog if the sync is still not finished. Seems to work pretty well. I couldn't find any way to detect if the EN sync finished, and it's not a good idea to loop forever, hence the dialog as a failsafe.

(I also changed the code to not use system events to copy the note and link. For my purposes, I don't need to copy the selected text to OF.)

/Nick
 
Hi,
Omnifocus is such a great app, it suits me really well in terms of action management but there is only one thing I wish was added - Evernote integration to see project support materials without even leaving Omnifocus app.

It's possible to do and an example of this is Nozbe ipad app (different gtd task management app). It looks for a tag in Evernote with the exact name as the project name in Nozbe and loads and shows all notes. Saves time. But Nozbe lacks quite a lot of stuff which I like about Omnifocus so it's not worth it for me personally to use Nozbe.

If this were implemented in omnifocus then it'd also promote omnifocus among Evernote users so I think it's a good idea for developers in any case.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OmniNote? (instead of Evernote or DevonThink) claus OmniFocus 1 for Mac 5 2012-04-30 07:46 AM
Mailing outline to Evernote drfrot OmniOutliner for iPad 2 2011-06-21 03:49 PM
Evernote and AppleScript ckennedy OmniFocus Extras 11 2011-03-01 06:31 AM
Support for Evernote rbl OmniWeb Feature Requests 8 2010-10-26 04:43 PM
OmniFocus and Evernote ToddPeperkorn Applying OmniFocus 1 2009-10-09 04:55 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.