The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do you forecast your workload with OF? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I really like the fact that you can allocate a time estimate for each task but when it comes to planning I find it really hard to forecast/monitor my daily workload.

Is there a way to create a perspective displaying the total workload per day?

I'm looking for a personal capacity management system in order to allocate tasks within OF, how would you do it?

Thanks

There's a script that will total the duration estimates of the selected content, which will help you get an idea of how much you may have given yourself to do in a given block of time. http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9983

One thing to watch out for whether using a script, the forecast view (which has yet to make it to the Mac), or just eyeballing the list is the behavior of repeating items. Unlike iCal, for example, you only see the next instance of a repeating item, so if you're trying to estimate how much work you've got to do this week, and you've got a daily repeating action with an estimate of 3 hours, your estimate is going to be off by a significant amount on Monday, because you'll only see that task on Monday's schedule, but not Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Similarly, if you have repeating items that perhaps don't take much time individually, but you have a large number of them, the view to the future will be overly optimistic about how busy you are going to be.

thank you!