The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Automatic backup before upgrade Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Would it be possible to have the installer do
1. backup database
2. upgrade
3. revert to database

I tend to forget to backup, and often the upgrade leaves my omnifocus document in mess.

++Johan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolilius View Post
I tend to forget to backup, and often the upgrade leaves my omnifocus document in mess.
Really? I've been using OF for more than two months and only once, very early on, did I have to go to a database backup. I was traveling during the day a couple of weeks ago when updates were losing items, so missed out on that.

How is your document being corrupted? I'm wondering if there are some features that we should either watch for, or try to test more thoroughly.

Curt

Quote:
Would it be possible to have the installer do
1. backup database
2. upgrade
3. revert to database

++Johan
Which installer are you referring to? The DMGs I get from the sneaky peek site are just the OmniFocus application itself.

As a point of information, it's usually considered bad form for an installer to mess with files in a user's home directory (unless, y'know, you're installing the application in your home folder) because it should not rely on the user's files being in a particular location.

I'll admit that I've yet to experience any data-destructive errors with OF. I've had some pretty nasty bugs that make a new build of OF unusable (or cause it to crash), but I've yet to lose (or mess up) any data from any bug in OF.

I imagine, that if I did have a serious issue, I could just revert to the last automatic backup since I tend to upgrade OF either very early in the morning before running OF at all (therefore nothing has changed since last night's last backup) or in the late afternoon after I haven't been using OF for most of the day (therefore making today's last backup viable).

So I think OF is stable enough not to really need this and my personal upgrade habits are safe enough to make up for any flaws in OF.

That being said, this doesn't sound like a terrible idea. Maybe have the installer throw up a prompt after downloading the latest version that asks the user if they want to backup their data before replacing OF?

Quote:
As others have written, this doesn't seem to be the normal behavior. I've never lost data from a previous document during an OmniFocus upgrade. Once a bug caused me to lose an action I had just entered, but that's the extent of my data loss.

If your document is frequently messed up when you upgrade, you should report the problem to Omni. They'll want to know.

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post. There's no need to "remember" to backup. Just go to the preferences and turn on backup-when-quitting. You have to quit to install the new version, therefore you'll always backup then.

Curt

That did it! Thanks for the tip.
++Johan