The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

House fire! Considering upgrade from Appigo to OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

Here is my quick profile

- Our house burned Thursday and we will have to be re-build. I expect tasks to double and projects to triple

- I currently have PRE-FIRE 89 tasks and six projects

- GTD believer although I only use the projects and next action concepts right now.

- I've never done a wewkly review

- The first chapter of Allen's book was a hallelujah moment

- I usually have very few appointments though that's going to change with this POST-FIRE lifestyle

- I have a iPad and iPhone but currently no mobile me service

- I do not own a Mac

- I may want to sync with my wife if she gets a iPhone

- I use iPad and iPhone versions of Appigo and sync them with their online service

Question - can mobile me provide the same sync experience?

- I STRUGGLE with Allen's concept of no due dates for tasks. How do you don detailed planning without due dates??

So given that the number of things I will need to get done is about to greatly increase should I switch from the very useful but lighter weight Appigo to OF? Purchasing both iPad and iPhone versions is not a problem. I have no plans to purchase a Mac.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by GTDDuke; 2011-08-08 at 07:30 AM..

I switched from Appigo to OF. If money is not an issue, then this is an absolute no brainer. Switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I switched from Appigo to OF. If money is not an issue, then this is an absolute no brainer. Switch.
Thanks for the reply. What made you decide to switch? For me this is being driven by the upcoming increase ih the number of tasks and projects.

Also what's your sync situation?

Also are all features in both iPad and iPhone versions?

Thanks!

First off, sorry for your loss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTDDuke View Post
I STRUGGLE with Allen's concept of no due dates for tasks. How do you do detailed planning without due dates??[/COLOR]
I use due dates all the time. I don't understand DA as saying "don't use due dates"; what I hear him saying is "don't assign a due date unless something is actually due in the drop-dead sense". I read him as saying that there's more value in being realistic about your priorities/planning than there is in trying to use due dates as an artificial way of motivating yourself.

In my experience, what happens when I try to do the latter is that the 'deadline' rolls around, I bump the date while muttering to myself "I'll really do it next time" and three months down the line, I'm almost completely numb to the due dates.

My "do taxes" action? Due date of April 15th. Every year. If there are actual consequences for missing a deadline, it gets one. If there aren't, though, I try to refrain. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Also are all features in both iPad and iPhone versions?
iPad app has a review mode that's not included in the iPhone app, but I can't really imagine doing an actual review on a screen that small, anyway.

iPad app also also has the ability to email actions to other OmniFocus users as clickable links. We want to add that to the other editions of the app eventually, but at the moment, it's an iPad-only feature.

Quote:

- I do not own a Mac

- I use iPad and iPhone versions of Appigo and sync them with their online service

Sorry about your house!

I'm not sure I understand "can mobile me provide the same sync experience?" -- the same as Appigo?

Since you don't have MobileMe currently, and Apple's in the midst of killing it off, I don't recommend signing up right now. However, you can get free syncing through the Omni Sync Server or a number of other WebDAV providers (check these forums to see which ones OmniFocus works best with).

Feel free to email us if you have any further questions about OmniFocus or our Sync Server. omnifocus@omnigroup.com

Quote:
Hi all,

Here is my quick profile

- Our house burned Thursday and we will have to be re-build. I expect tasks to double and projects to triple

- I currently have PRE-FIRE 89 tasks and six projects

- GTD believer although I only use the projects and next action concepts right now.

- I've never done a wewkly review

- The first chapter of Allen's book was a hallelujah moment

- I usually have very few appointments though that's going to change with this POST-FIRE lifestyle

- I do not own a Mac

- I STRUGGLE with Allen's concept of no due dates for tasks. How do you don detailed planning without due dates??

So given that the number of things I will need to get done is about to greatly increase should I switch from the very useful but lighter weight Appigo to OF? Purchasing both iPad and iPhone versions is not a problem. I have no plans to purchase a Mac.

Thanks guys!
Appigo's support is just as nonexistant as RTM and CulturedCode's. you get bug fix updates once in a while and maybe every 1-2 years you'll get some feature updates and they'll leave you in the dark when it comes to talking about future ideas.

Meanwhile Omni's customer support is fantastic! Good amount of updates, and great apps that run bug free! MobileMe isn't important because Omni syncs between devices for free. Not having a Mac would personally be a dealbreaker for me because when I'm on the computer I want to be able to enter my tasks at lightning fast speeds rather than fumbling around on my iPad or iPhone. Now I would say that I can type relatively fast on my iDevices as long as I rely on autocorrect, but with a keyboard everything is just easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

I use due dates all the time. I don't understand DA as saying "don't use due dates"; what I hear him saying is "don't assign a due date unless something is actually due in the drop-dead sense". I read him as saying that there's more value in being realistic about your priorities/planning than there is in trying to use due dates as an artificial way of motivating yourself.

In my experience, what happens when I try to do the latter is that the 'deadline' rolls around, I bump the date while muttering to myself "I'll really do it next time" and three months down the line, I'm almost completely numb to the due dates.

My "do taxes" action? Due date of April 15th. Every year. If there are actual consequences for missing a deadline, it gets one. If there aren't, though, I try to refrain. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the condolences! It's a big mess but were all fine and will hopefully have a new house six to eight months from now.

Well I took the plunge and bought OF for iPad. A day later I was clicking the buy button for the iPhone companion app.

What can I say the community is 100% right about OF. I'll spare everyone yet another paragraph about how great it is and just use one word --

"Ease"

If you're a GTDer there's nothing easier than using OF. Not having to squeeze the GTD metaphors into YET ANOTHER "some dude" app that has a #%@!? "@Context" field just "bolted on" that claims to be "GTD friendly" ALONE is worth sixty bucks.

OK now that that's off my chest I do have some questions. To the moderators do you guys prefer one question per thread or one "question thread" per user?

Question -- is there a way to hide a project whose tasks or sub-projects do not match the current view preference (next action, ava, etc )?

Last edited by GTDDuke; 2011-08-17 at 08:45 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
*High five!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

You know I've discovered thatbstart date does what I've really bean using due date for. With start date I can record somewhat tihe-sensitive task and control when they popup on my radar without risking the dreaded due date fatigue. Great job the way you guys implemented it.