The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Calender view, workload indicator Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A friend showed me Toodledo. It has a horrible user interface but one feature looked very useful to me.

So this is the feature:
On the left, there's a vertical strip with little calenders. Each date square has a little indicator that shows high the workload for that day is.

Like Omnifocus, Toodledo has a field for an estimated duration of a task. OF only allows you to filter tasks by length, which is nice if for instance you have 10 minutes to do a task @work. You pick the @work context and filter by duration and pick your task.

In Toodledo, if you assign a task with a duration estimate to a specific date, the workload indicator for that data increases. If it's already full, you know you have to move that task to another date or move the tasks off the fully planned date.

I think this way of working would work great for me. It would allow me to plan further ahead, with less chance of having much work on a day and thus not finishing tasks.

My first question to the readers here is: what do you think of this workflow?

Instead of ditching OF and move to Toodledo, I tried replicating the features in OF. I had little success.

I got time totals for the tasks in my "Today" perspective using Dan Bylers' Total Time script. It's not as convenient as an indicator but it's a start. At least now I could plan my day each morning (I use start dates) and keep the tasks under x hours.

But planning the day for tomorrow, or monday next week, that seems impossible. You see, I can get Omnifocus to sort tasks with a "Start today" and "Start Tomorrow" but dates after that, it say "Start next week" or "Start next month". So that's no help. Even if a future version of OF would allow me to show headings for each date, it wouldn't nearly be as useful as a calender with workload indicators.

So my 2nd question is to Omni: What do you think of such features and will you consider implementing it in a future version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviAuto View Post
According to my knowledge............

1. On the View menu, click Resource Usage.
2. Review the resource names and their assigned tasks in the table portion of the Resource Usage view.
3. Review the timescale portion of the view to see how work is allocated over the selected time period
Can't find "Resource Usage" anywhere I'm affraid.