The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

More Display Options Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Probably been said many a time before, but I'd like more control over the display of the timeline.

At the moment the overlaid information is too messy. The text to the left or right of a task has a huge gap and is therefore easily confused with the task before or after it. The text inside a task is most useful, but would be good if it could be more than one element. The text inside a group bridge bar is so thin it's unreadable.
As a user, I really wanted the chart to be zoomable/stretchable vertically as well as horizontally to control the thickness of the task bars so I could read text in it and make the charts much more "immediate" to my dreary head. This would presumably be some kind of zoom function, which currently desperately needs to be much more user friendly than as implemented. This simply means much more standard. Ideally rip off Final Cut Pro's stretchy zoom tool, or in the least the Photoshop method with hot keys.

So really 2 things:
- Better control of the location of the overlaid information
- Control the size of the task bars via some sort of zoom stretching in horizontal and vertical

As you mentioned in another posting that you've just started using OmniPlan, I'll point out a few things that you probably already know, just in case you don't. It took me a while to figure some of these things out.

You can use the Project Styles inspector to change the font size for part or all of the document, which will allow you some control over the legibility of the text in the timeline. View Options... will let you customize the text in the timeline to a degree, and perhaps rearranging where things are shown will help you make the items of most interest to you more legible. The magnifying glass near the upper right hand corner of the timeline can zoom the whole project or just the current selection to fit your window. Finally, you can turn on a different background color for alternate rows in the Project Colors inspector which should help address the issue of does this text belong to this task or the one above/below it.

Thanks. I did use all of those functions, but I still found the zoom less than perfect and an usually large distance between the text and its task no matter where I placed it (aside from inside the task bar itself).
I love the program though. The fact that I could nut it out fairly well in a few hours was the selling point. I've never done a project plan for anything! Can't wait for more and more development, esp in the era of iPhone.