The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni Sync server vs iDisk sync Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys, I have my MobileMe subscription and I use that to sync OmniFocus on my different devices. I’m just wondering if anyone here has an opinion about wether or not the Omni sync server is faster or more stabile than iDisk sync?

I don´t have anything specific to complain about with iDisk syncing, but if it´s possible to improve the sync and the sync time I´m always interested :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas_Thomsen View Post
Hi guys, I have my MobileMe subscription and I use that to sync OmniFocus on my different devices. I’m just wondering if anyone here has an opinion about wether or not the Omni sync server is faster or more stabile than iDisk sync?

I don´t have anything specific to complain about with iDisk syncing, but if it´s possible to improve the sync and the sync time I´m always interested :)
I have no benchmarks but would say the Omni server is both faster and better. I often had issues with the iDisk sync between my devices, but not after switching to the Omni server.
Note, I am in Europe, iDisk is not as good here as in the US.

Does anyone else have reports on performance differences? I am in the same situation as the original poster, and would gladly switch from MobileMe to Omni's Sync Server if it's faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckalope View Post
Does anyone else have reports on performance differences? I am in the same situation as the original poster, and would gladly switch from MobileMe to Omni's Sync Server if it's faster.
The Omni Sync Server is free. Why not try it yourself, instead of relying on someone else's experience, which may not be representative of what you will experience?

I recently moved from MobileMe to Omni Sync Server. Terrific improvement in speed and no problems. I had 128 zip files on iDisk and now have 1 zip file on OSS. This alone may explain the speed improvement. Only time will tell.

Last edited by OrionDog; 2011-02-07 at 01:47 PM..

Any time you change what sync service you're using, you're generally going to see a temporary speedup. This is because, as OrionDog noted, your data gets tidied up into one file. To get a fair comparison, you may need to sync to the new service for several days.