The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prioritized feature list? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
You can do this now in Project View by grouping your projects by their Next Review date. This will show you all the projects which you need to review in the next week, month, etc. Select a project, review it, then select "Mark Reviewed" from the Edit menu (Shift-Command-R) or toolbar (if you've added it to your toolbar), or use the Project inspector to enter a specific future review date (and update interval).
This is how i've been doing my reviews. However, would it not be a simpler solution to be able to filter out the un-reviewable projects (the ones whose review date has yet to arrive) rather than group by Next Review date? In addition to "all, remaining, available, etc" you'd have "reviewable".

Ken,

I see "Mail integration" on the list of features to be added. I'm curious as to how you plan to go about this.

I have some scripts that work quite well for generating actions from Mail. But linking back to Mail messages is very cantankerous. Mail's Applescript interface is a real kludge.

Any insight you can provide on what "Mail integration" might include and how it might work would be valuable.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Curt

Quote:
...tell us how those lists should change...Thanks!
Perspectives are at the top of my list.

Deciding on how to manage single tasks is next. Having another header under Inbox and Projects is one way, but I'm intrigued by the idea of having a whole separate view for review and seeing them there (and in Context view, of course).

I find that I keep the inspectors open all the time so I can review the info related to the selected item (mostly just to see if it's been set properly). Do you expect it to work that way? if not, then I'd like to see more gui queues like the paper clip appearing in the main window.

Perhaps Omni-official Mail integration should wait until Leopard Mail.

Quote:
I certainly see how cloned actions would be useful, but they have all sorts of UI ramifications that would introduce a bunch of new work. (For example, an action can be "available" in one project and "not available" due to dependencies in another, so which one is right? In context view, do we list each clone of the action separately, or do we modify the project column to somehow handle multiple project assignments?)

So we won't be doing cloned actions for 1.0, though we'll certainly consider them for future releases.
I understand that, and I'll happily wait for a post 1.0 release to include this feature, but without wanting to press the issue, let me try to answer the questions you raise.

Can dependencies arise in one project, where there are none in another, for the very same action, provided the action is well defined, specific, 'atomic', GTD-kosher, so to speak? I think an aliased/cloned action, if it is available in one project, is of necessity available generally. Even if 'Replace tire on car' is not available in sequential project 'Move Furniture', because 'Call friends to ask for help moving furniture' comes first, having the tire replaced as part of a different project won't hurt the 'Move Furniture' project, and it is entirely possible to replace the tire without calling those furniture carrying friends first. Am I overlooking something?

In Context view, I can imagine aliased actions having 'Multiple' as their listed project, while mousing over the word 'Multiple' would reveal all the projects the task is part of.

Last edited by HiramNetherlands; 2007-06-24 at 10:57 PM..

Quote:
What would be most useful to us is for all of you to tell us how those lists should change: what features are missing from our "Coming soon" list that you consider essential for 1.0? In your opinion, what bugs and other issues absolutely need to be addressed before we can ship 1.0, and which ones can wait until later?
I'd like to see some kind of tagging, like iGTD does, or just a text field for meta information. I think adding this will solve the problems in the situation when an action can have multiple contexts or can belong to multiple folders / projects.

Quote:
What would be most useful to us is for all of you to tell us how those lists should change: what features are missing from our "Coming soon" list that you consider essential for 1.0? In your opinion, what bugs and other issues absolutely need to be addressed before we can ship 1.0, and which ones can wait until later?
FWIW, from the "Coming soon" list, I consider "Improved support for tasks without a project" to be essential, and "Integration with Mail" to be desirable. They would be my top two from that page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb
Perspectives are at the top of my list.
Mine too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb
I find that I keep the inspectors open all the time so I can review the info related to the selected item (mostly just to see if it's been set properly). Do you expect it to work that way? if not, then I'd like to see more gui queues like the paper clip appearing in the main window.
Along this line, I'd love to see a small icon next to the paper clip for repeating tasks. Clicking the icon would bring up a small window for entering the repeat settings. The icon would be a darker shade of gray for tasks with a repeat interval assigned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb
Perhaps Omni-official Mail integration should wait until Leopard Mail.
I can certainly live with that. However, I think there might be marketing implications in releasing OF without built-in Mail support. Some people might use the lack of such support as an excuse to not purchase.

I would like reset/repeating to have its own column (similar to the estimated time column) for fast input and review.

Last edited by wwwzzz; 2007-06-25 at 08:32 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksenia
I'd like to see some kind of tagging, like iGTD does, or just a text field for meta information. I think adding this will solve the problems in the situation when an action can have multiple contexts or can belong to multiple folders / projects.
I'd love to see this, it might also be a work-around for the missing priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton
Along this line, I'd love to see a small icon next to the paper clip for repeating tasks. Clicking the icon would bring up a small window for entering the repeat settings. The icon would be a darker shade of gray for tasks with a repeat interval assigned.
Yes, please, that icon would be a great improvement!

I agree with Curt, out of the box integration with mail is one of the features i'm most looking forward to as 90% of what i need to do begins with my email, and and like Curt said, without it, i'd probably hold of purchasing the 1.0 version of omnifocus.

In this respect, has there been any development for integrating omnifocus with mail 3.0 in the newest WWDC 2007 build of leopard? I ask because bundles for mail 2.0 do not work with 3.0.