The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

List of free webDAV sync providers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by David4GTD View Post
I set up a SwissDisk Account and it worked like a charm for a week - now I get this error message

The disk.swissdisk.com server returned “internal server error” (500) in response to a request to “PROPFIND /davidutts/Omnifocus/OmniFocus.ofocus”.

My Iphone will not sync either and when I try to sign in on swissdisk's site - it says it can not find my user name and password (I wrote them down and was using it to sync. - so I did not forget it).

Not sure what the issue is - we need something from Omni on this - even if it costs a nominal feel. Will try Disk.se and see what happens.

David
I was getting the same error. I had to re-setup my account and then everything worked again. Not sure what the root cause was but that fixed it.

So, I've been syncing over my LAN at home or at work or wherever. But I thought, "It would be kinda cool to be able to sync from anywhere I have a cell signal. I'll try it."

On the iPhone end, it was reasonably painless, but slooooooow.

On the MacBook end, it was also reasonably painless, until it got to the end of the progress bar, and then it sat there forever or until I quit the application. After that it would sync, but it was still slow. Though not as slow as the iPhone.

The iPhone was even slow on my LAN, which connects to the world via satellite.

I'm back to syncing via LAN, which works fine for me.

Years of syncing woes have made me leery of changing anything once I get a working solution. At least this time I was able to switch back with no difficulty.

Recently, I started using Evernote. I know that they provide their own server, but even so, it's very fast, no matter what network I'm on, even on non-3G cell. It just goes. When I tried MobileMe I instantly had duplicate calendar events and other problems. I backed out, fast, and gave up on cloud synchronization from everywhere.

I'm not a programmer, though I'm not tech unsavvy, either. Why can't more programs work like Evernote?

-Speireag.

Have created a swissdisk account and set up sync from my Mac and iPhone. Works like a charm.

BUT - Do I still have to initiate the sync manually (or upon starting the app)? Is there no way to have the database *pushed* between the iPhone, Swissdisk and my Mac? Like iCal does with Google Calendar?

Reading some other threads about this I understand that Push is not available for third party app's. I still ask though, because I may have missed something...

:confused:

The desktop app automatically syncs at startup, one minute after you make a change, hourly thereafter, and when you quit. These intervals are adjustable via the Terminal if necessary, but for most people there should be no need to do so.

The iPhone/iPod Touch app has a setting called Auto-Sync which controls whether or not the corresponding behavior is active. With Auto-Sync on, you get a sync at startup, a minute after a change, and hourly thereafter if you leave the app running (no sync on quit). With Auto-Sync off, the only syncs that take place are when you tap the Sync button.

There is no way to get live database updates to the iPhone/iPod Touch if the OmniFocus app is not running.

SwissDisk.com? But based in Vegas? Not a single German word on their website whatsoever? hmmmm...
Nope, this does not smell like Swiss cheese fondue to me.

I am going to evaluate MyDrive.ch, I just started using that and it works like a breeze. It all feels a bit slow at first glance, but I do not have any reference, and for the OmniFocus app it probably should be just right. And hey... it is totally free up to 2GB !! :D

I also configured the iPhone and yep, it syncs to the database like a charm.

So in short:
- Go to www.mydrive.ch and create your lovely real Swiss based 2GB webdrive
- In OmniFocus, go to Preferences, select the last of the 5 choices "Advanced"
- Enter the address: https://webdav.mydrive.ch
- Press Synchronize, and enter the mydrive username/password combination
- On the iPhone OmniFocus app, it is just as straightforward, select WebDAV
- Use the same address: https://webdav.mydrive.ch
- Enter the mydrive username/password combination, and the syncing can begin :)
- Alternatively you can add the drive in the Mac Finder, select Go, add the same address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensgod View Post
SwissDisk is also run by Ben Collins, the Ubuntu kernel hacker/maintainer. That's enough credibility for me. I'll be surprised if they ever have significant downtime or data loss.
greensgod
As someone who used Linux as my primary OS for almost 10 years before switching to Mac, my reaction is the opposite. The Linux people are very good at hype, but my experience was that Linux boxes were by far the most unreliable of any I've ever used over many years of using a wide variety of systems. I used many distros, and I never found one that had a respectable level of reliability.

I know the Linux culture inside and out and I know why so many people think Linux is so reliable. However, it's a different kind of "reliability" than Mac users expect. It certainly is NOT reliability in the sense that shipping products work as expected almost all the time and data loss and down time are rare. Part of the reason Linux users regard their systems as reliable is that they tolerate major disruptions and failures as a normal part of a system's operation, and they don't count them as real failures if they can be fixed by spending, say, a few afternoons reading mailing lists and applying patches.

Bottom line is, while greesgod may be surprised if SwissDisk has significant downtime or data loss, I'll be surprised if it DOESN'T. It will NOT be reliable in the expected sense. I'm not trying to start a flame war and I won't respond to any post that reaffirms the reliability of Linux. I just wanted to post an alternate point of view to balance the common (and I believe false) claim that Linux is reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPicard View Post
SwissDisk.com? But based in Vegas? Not a single German word on their website whatsoever? hmmmm...
Nope, this does not smell like Swiss cheese fondue to me.

I am going to evaluate MyDrive.ch, I just started using that and it works like a breeze. It all feels a bit slow at first glance, but I do not have any reference, and for the OmniFocus app it probably should be just right. And hey... it is totally free up to 2GB !! :D

I also configured the iPhone and yep, it syncs to the database like a charm.

So in short:
- Go to www.mydrive.ch and create your lovely real Swiss based 2GB webdrive
- In OmniFocus, go to Preferences, select the last of the 5 choices "Advanced"
- Enter the address: https://webdav.mydrive.ch
- Press Synchronize, and enter the mydrive username/password combination
- On the iPhone OmniFocus app, it is just as straightforward, select WebDAV
- Use the same address: https://webdav.mydrive.ch
- Enter the mydrive username/password combination, and the syncing can begin :)
- Alternatively you can add the drive in the Mac Finder, select Go, add the same address.
Thanks for sharing about the availability of these free webdav servers - I was facing the possibility of subscribing to mobile me for no other purpose than to sync OmniFocus while away from my home / office wifi networks, or spending an extra few hundred dollars a year to add that functionality to my website server. I've signed up for a mydrive account and am in the process of my 1st sync - hopefully this puts paid to the flaky problems I've had with bonjour syncing and is a painless way of syncing on the road. I do a good degree of GTD processing / organizing via my iphone while in transit, it'll be great to be able to sync as soon as I hit the ground at my destination each trip!

Just thought I'd share that I've moved away from Sharemation's free service as it was incredibly patchy (often I couldn't connect or sync at all) and it was also limited to 5mb which meant I'd often run out of space for the trash ... painful.

I've just setup mydisk.se and it's working very well so far. 2GB of storage should also keep me going for a while ... that's a lot of tasks.

I thought I should share my experience as well;

I have been using Swissdisk for two months now without a problem.

Seems like there actually are some good free services available. :)

Another person who was about to sign up with mobileme because my web hosting service (lunarpages) doesn't support webDAV. I went with mydrive.ch and so far so good. It took all of about 30 seconds to make it work.

I figure if it all goes to hell, then no big deal. The databases are backed up on my computer and the worst that can happen is I lose a days worth of omnifocussing.

I used keychain access to create a password for me and have it saved there so as to not forget it and never be able to retrieve it.