The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > General > Forums Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thanks to whomever cleaned up the forum Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Last night's spam attack was pretty brutal. I wondered if someone would take the time to sift through the mess and clean it up.

I would just like to point out that the new spam attack from chinaxmsink looks from that name as if it comes from Xiamen where I live. It is nothing whatsoever to do with me; I haven't even followed up the link to see if it is from here. If I am right, then it is probably coming through Fujian Telecom, and if Fujian Telecom were to be black-listed as a result, I for one would be blocked.

We have no choice of ISPs here ... my options are Fujian Telecom broadband, or Fujian Telecom dial-up. Although there is at least one other broadband network, I think they have to lease lines off China Telecom, of which Fujian Telecom is the local arm.

The educational network is different, but I don't live on campus, and if I did I would still not be able to use it, as the network administrators install a .exe on your system, presumably for user validation, and have no intention of setting up a validation system that works with OS-X.

Mark
(whose screen name is markxm on a number of systems)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese View Post
if Fujian Telecom were to be black-listed as a result, I for one would be blocked.
We ban the specific accounts that post, but don't do anything broader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We ban the specific accounts that post, but don't do anything broader.
Thanks Brian, I seem to have posted in a wrong thread. There was a thread in which someone, if I understood it correctly, was calling for a broader system and another poster pointed out a similar problem. In view of the recent attacks from Chinese spammers, I thought I would point this out as a specific case in that context.
I have in fact suffered from such black-listing in the past—about 5 to 6 years ago—as it happens by OmniGroup's mail system referencing a central black-list which blocked all mails passing through Fujian Telecom. I had to find a way round that in order to get crash-reports in to you!

Mark

Yeah, that was my other thread. I just wanted it looked at as sometimes it is effective. Obviously in this case, it wouldn't be. I wouldn't want a valued user such as yourself to get blocked. There are some circumstances where certain blocks of IPs are used only for spamming and those can get blocked. I have found this works on a forum I admin.