The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need web integration Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This probably falls under:
For this version, we are not planning to provide:
Networking or workgroup features

<IMHO>Project management software isn't helpful to me without web integration. If a client is at a video production house and needs to note something on a project, if they can't just connect with a browser and do what needs to be done, suddenly the app has become more work than it's worth. If they have to call, email... they just broke the communication chain of the project. If they're there and need to send me some files, but can't upload it via the web to the PM tool, I just added extra steps for them and burned their time on something that's supposed to make it all easier.

I've got a license for 10 copies of MS Project, and it's not even installed anywhere. Maybe I need to see what's out there for web integration with that and see what we can do. Or perhaps build our own. Plus, forcing a client to install software is not something I like to do. I don't want to troubleshoot MS Project for the client. Nor do I want to pass the buck and have them burn time with MS on it.

The stuff we have now manages the project. Assets, communication between us, communication between us and the client, timelines... are all part of the project. Building in a break in that is just asking for trouble.</IMHO>

From what I can see,the beta that was just released supports export to HTML at least :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortig
From what I can see,the beta that was just released supports export to HTML at least :)
Yeah, I read everything carefully, installed it... <IMHO>export to HTML isn't useful to me at all.</IMHO>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Yeah, I read everything carefully, installed it... <IMHO>export to HTML isn't useful to me at all.</IMHO>

I see what you mean, but what do you have in mind?? Web-sharing??? That's not a trivial thing to put together.
I guess you'd need a server that all users could access with read-write permissions and a file format that accepts several users working on the same file at the same time…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortig
I see what you mean, but what do you have in mind?? Web-sharing??? That's not a trivial thing to put together.
I guess you'd need a server that all users could access with read-write permissions and a file format that accepts several users working on the same file at the same time…
The company I work for has already built a project management system that does all this. It's completely web-based. Sure it requires a web server, but it would run on your average $8/mo shared hosting plan.

Edit: *shuffles through discs*
Oh, I have MS Project Server...
*starts installing*
Guess we'll see how that works
*blushes*

Last edited by Forrest; 2006-07-26 at 05:17 PM..

Quote:
The company I work for has already built a project management system that does all this. It's completely web-based. Sure it requires a web server, but it would run on your average $8/mo shared hosting plan.
Nice! We sure don't have that here.

Quote:
Edit: *shuffles through discs*
Oh, I have MS Project Server...
*starts installing*
Guess we'll see how that works
*blushes*
I guess you could export to the Project file format and use that then :) (though I've clearly never seen the Project Server running and have no idea how it works - I only recenly installed Project on a PC here to take a look at what OmniPlan migth look like :) ).

Disclaimer: I'm not on the OmniPlan team...

I think we all know that for large projects, some sort of server/collaboration system is necessary--but we felt there was a need for a "small" project management application and you have to start somewhere. See Gall's law:

Quote:
Gall's law:
A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that worked. A complex system designed from scratch never works and cannot be patched up to make it work. You have to start over with a working simple system.

That's a very interesting Law. I tend to find the opposite is often true - a complex system derived from that of a smaller system is usually a collection of kludges. That's just been my experience when Marketing is driving milestones.

But it all depends on the system involved. If the groundwork was solid, then it can be built upon. So I tend to think that the vision has to be there first (the more complex system) even if the first iteration is that of a smaller system. But if the smaller system is built without the future in mind, it makes a horrible complex system.

Alas, Project Server may cut it for our internal usage... but when I open it up to clients I have to purchase a new license which is $1500 for five clients... I'd I'd need about 20. So that's not going to work.

Do you mean Omniweb + a SubEthaEdit-ish type of integration?
I'd like something like that.. though, with the links being in the app.... giving certain parts a more Omnigraffle-ish look with custom images linking to sites, apps, projects, contacts etc. lol that would be quick(efficient: faster user recognition on the display)... and fun lol

Nope, not quite. SubEthaEdit is just another app. I want something web-based.