The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Filter bar changes coming in OmniFocus 1.8 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I think the Mac gets it wrong with 'Due or Flagged' because what it implements is 'Due Soon or Flagged' and that is neither what I want nor what the documentation describes
We've cleaned this up for OmniFocus 1.8 for Mac, and documented it in the online help:

Quote:
Action Filter

Click this to choose what kind of actions show in the main outline. You can choose to see actions with Any Status, Next actions (just the next thing to do in each eligible project), Available actions (things you can actually do, because they aren’t blocked by earlier actions in a sequential project), Remaining actions (anything that’s not completed), or Completed actions (things you’ve already done).

Status Filter

Click this to show projects or actions based on whether they have flags, due dates, or flags and due dates set on them. You can choose to see items with Any Status, Flagged items, Unflagged items, Due Soon items, Due or Flagged items, or Due and Flagged items. Note that flagging an action puts a kind of ghost flag on its parent project, making the project count as flagged too, and flagging a project ghost-flags all of its contained actions.
(OmniFocus 1.6 for iPhone supports all this too, it just has some compatibility code in place to read the older perspectives created by OmniFocus 1.7 for Mac.)

Last edited by Ken Case; 2010-01-11 at 04:33 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We've cleaned this up for OmniFocus 1.8 for Mac, and documented it in the online help:

(OmniFocus 1.6 for iPhone supports all this too, it just has some compatibility code in place to read the older perspectives created by OmniFocus 1.7 for Mac.)
Ken,

I'm going to be frank here and say that I'm not sure this is an improvement in my book. I have been or I'll be using Due and/or flagged items as a way to manage my most important tasks (i.e., tasks that are due right now or I think important enough to get done right now (even though due dates might not be today). So, if due/flagged items show all the due items, that kind of defeats the purpose (I think many others would agree with this). Now in the Mac side, you can argue that you can contract the future dates so that it doesn't come into view, but on iPhone, you can't do that (that's what I'm seeing right now), and it's rather distracting to see all the items on the screen. Furthermore, the flagged bug mentioned already makes the situation worse.

Furthermore, as mentioned by many on this forum (perhaps except one or two people who do not see it) that there is a bug with the Due Soon filter in iPhone.

Recently, I've moved away from DA's GTD to Mark Forster's "Do it Tomorrow," and I found it to be much more helpful for me personally. It seems that the new planned "improvement" seems to be making it less compatible with my current system. In other words, I need to see the closed list shown, not an open list of all the items that I have coming due in the future for me to focus on the tasks today so that I can get all my stuff done today.

Hope this helps.

I would like to second ksrhee's post Ken -- I definitely need the ability to use these tools (OF and OF iPhone) to "focus" on the next 24 hours in certain perspectives. If you are discussing removing this capability from the iPhone or the Mac version I really don't understand the rationale. Just because one member thinks Due or Flagged should not be Due Soon or Flagged now, which happens to work very well to create a "Today" view that many users are struggling to create?

I really don't get this. If you could explain a little more it would be helpful! Again, great work on this release...

I'll add my sentiments to those of ksrhee and wolfneuralnet that I don't see the rationale of this proposed change, and more explanation might be helpful. While I can understand how some users might find value in viewing all tasks that have a due date assigned, I cannot see why that should now become the new setting for the due or flagged option. I too like the functionality of a 'Today' view and I want that view to filter out noise rather than filter in tasks to create a list that is more about 'review' than 'do'.

Apparently there is a lack of imagination here. With 1.8's revamping of the action filter, why not allow the specification of due or due soon behavior on a per-perspective basis? The 1.6 iPhone app isn't the last revision that will ever ship.

Based on the reaction to this issue, I can just imagine the complaints likely to be seen when the first 2.0 images arrive and turn out not to have implemented everyone's pet 2.0 feature in the precise manner they expected....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Apparently there is a lack of imagination here. With 1.8's revamping of the action filter, why not allow the specification of due or due soon behavior on a per-perspective basis? The 1.6 iPhone app isn't the last revision that will ever ship.

Based on the reaction to this issue, I can just imagine the complaints likely to be seen when the first 2.0 images arrive and turn out not to have implemented everyone's pet 2.0 feature in the precise manner they expected....
So, apparently some of us are not being imaginative. But I want to remind you that throughout history there are many examples of someone's imagination or creativity turned out others' nightmares. So, I would request that you might want to be careful how you frame this issue.

Now if the program allows us to do multiple things, then everyone will be happy, but the way it was being described, that did not seem to be the case.

I don't think anyone is being draconian in asking the exact feature. We are simply pointing out that there are some of us who have a different need than someone like yourself, and we want our voice to be heard.

Last edited by ksrhee; 2010-01-12 at 04:08 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I'm going to be frank here and say that I'm not sure this is an improvement in my book. I have been or I'll be using Due and/or flagged items as a way to manage my most important tasks (i.e., tasks that are due right now or I think important enough to get done right now (even though due dates might not be today). So, if due/flagged items show all the due items, that kind of defeats the purpose (I think many others would agree with this).
Oh, sorry, I guess it wasn't clear that the interpretation of "Due" is exactly the same as in 1.7: it means anything which is coming due soon, not anything which has some future due date.

The fundamental change is that you can now construct perspectives which show items which are "Due Soon or Flagged", not just perspectives which show "Due Soon" or "Flagged" or "Due Soon and Flagged".

(There's another very useful change as well: in "context" mode, you can now build lists of actions which have Any status, i.e. completed actions can be grouped in lists along with unfinished actions. This was only possible in 1.7 in project mode, which meant you couldn't group them by anything other than project.)

This reshuffle sounds good to me. Looking forward to making a single list of due or flagged items, with unavailable ones hidden. That will be my main "getting things done" view...

Is any way to create a perspective with "Due and Available", "Fagged and Available" and "(Due or Flagged) and Available"? On 1.8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawichita View Post
Is any way to create a perspective with "Due and Available", "Flagged and Available" and "(Due or Flagged) and Available"? On 1.8?
Yes, 1.8 supports all of these combinations.