The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Location-based tasks and start date - BUG! [A: filed as feature request.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've noticed unpleasant bug with location-based tasks. If you set up task with location-based context AND assign it start day in a future (e.g. "call someone" with context "home_leaving" and starting tomorrow at 9.00) - it doesn't work at all until you start OmniFocus in iPhone AFTER start day time (after 9.00 in this case). It means that location based tasks can't starts in background automatically - there is no geofencing icon appears after 9.00 until you start OmniFocus manually. In the same time the tasks with certain due date and start day (not location-based) starts in background and make signal even OmniFocus is switched off.
Maybe I do something wrong, but I tried several times with the same result: location-based context tasks don't start in background automatically and I had no alert in every case.
Does anyone has noticed the same problem? I used to use Reminders for this, but Reminders.app doesn't allow you to set up the start time for the such tasks and starts to monitor my location right after entering. But what if I need be notified only (for example) the next morning - why should I lose battery power through the night? In this case OmniFocus start date is a solution, but unfortunately it doesn't work.

Last edited by Brian; 2012-08-30 at 03:36 PM..

Vitvit2002, the behavior you're seeing is working as intended given the constraints inherent to the system. If those constraints change in the future, this is something we'd like to support. Filing this as a feature request - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Vitvit2002, the behavior you're seeing is working as intended given the constraints inherent to the system. If those constraints change in the future, this is something we'd like to support. Filing this as a feature request - thanks!
Thanks for your reply, Brian. I understand the such limitation, but I think it would be correct to aware OmniFocus users about it. This behavior of location based tasks with start days is not obvious so it must be I'm not the only one surprised.

I also use reminders for this service. I find that if i set a location AND a day then reminders will not monitor until the day you set. I usually set the day and a time very late in the day.

It does however turn on monitoring at midnight 0:00 the day of the task.

But at least it's the hollow arrow, I find it doesn't use the battery much at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw View Post
I find that if i set a location AND a day then reminders will not monitor until the day you set. ....
But at least it's the hollow arrow, I find it doesn't use the battery much at all.
Thanx, billw, this is very useful tip, I didn't know that. Gonna use Reminders in this case. But I've noticed that even with hollow arrow iPhone consume much more power than without geofencing :(