The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Good system for managing a small business, personal life, and school work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
With a new school semester starting a few days, I have to get in gear because I won't have a schedule that permits a part-time job and guarantees income. I now will have to juggle a small web design company (sales, service, and everything else), a full-time school load, and a personal life.

I was wondering if you could review my system and give me any pointers to ensure that I have a productive semester? I also need help with some crucial decisions.

The system I'm working on consists of:

1) OmniFocus for project and task management
2) Daylite to manage contact relations
3) Evernote to manage notes that aren't related to contacts
4) iCal and Gcal to manage calendars
5) Apple Mail and Gmail to manage email
6) Omnioutliner and Microsoft Office for docs, spreadsheets, and presentations

Do these tools seem like a good fit for getting things done?

Do you think that I should use Daylite CRM? It has some cool features, but I think it may be overkill. I don't deal with too many prospects, clients, or projects at one period of time, so I'm not sure that a CRM is truly necessary.

Do you think using a CRM would help my business grow or just make things complicated? I may be able to get by just with Omnifocus, Evernote, Leopard apps and Spotlight. I used to get by fine with just Gmail.

Or, I could use all of Daylite's features for everything contact-related. Record communications and notes for my clients in Daylite...Manage calendars and contacts in Daylite...Manage projects and tasks in Daylite and use Omnifocus for tasks and projects that are not related to any contact.

My main concern is that my system will be too complex if I use all of these apps in different instances. It may get confusing. I'm confused writing this.

Here are the options:

1) Use Omnifocus for tasks and projects and Daylite for contacts
2) Use Omnifocus for tasks and projects and forget about Daylite
3) Use Daylite for contact-related tasks and projects, and OF for the rest

What would you do, and why? I appreciate any guidance. Thanks.