The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniweb 5.7 SPs/Beta Maxing out CPU Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have found with the builds of 5.7 I have used that very frequently Omniweb will hit 100% CPU and stay there. I have to quit the application to get back to normal levels.

Anyone else seeing this?

I though as we have now hit the Betas I best report it before its too late! :)

What sites did you have open at the time?

I've seen this several times (no windows open). I took a Sample and submitted a bug report.

I don't notice that the CPU is at 100% until the fans in the MBP spin up, by then I can't be sure which site caused the issue. I'll have to do some thourough testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
I've seen this several times (no windows open). I took a Sample and submitted a bug report.
So is this after closing windows or after launching OW with no windows open that it pegs the CPU?

Just wanted to update this thread. I'm still getting this with the 5.7 release version.

No windows are open. And I'll hear the fans rev-up, so I check the Activity Monitor and see that OW is taking up 100% CPU.

OmniGuys - let me know how I can help! (logs, samples, etc)

And this happens after launching the app too?

Take a Sample and then use Send Feedback... to send it to them with the description of the issue.

I can verify - the same thing happens for me, I've got, say, 3 tabs open that I'm browsing with and it still consistently maxes out 99-100% 4 2.66GHZ CORE 2 DUOS!! I have to say this could, regrettably, be the clinch feature for me - a web browser just can't take that much; I need to run Parallels and other applications that 'ought' to be CPU-intensive as well, without having to close my web browser...

Generally it can be traced back to sites that poorly built Flash content or JavaScripts. Sometimes the JS continues to run even after the browser windows are closed. (That's why I asked about if the problem occurs after OW is restarted.)

This is a problem in all browsers. Right now Safari is in the background and eating up 80%+ of my CPU.

Here's an example:
http://www.thisisgoingtobebig.com/20...1-saving-.html

With that page open, Safari sucks up an extra 50-60%. Close it, it goes back down. Open it back up, it goes back up. You may have to scroll down a bit to get it to do it. Same thing in OW and Firefox.