The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Minor requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a couple minor requests that I’d love to see in OmniWeb. These aren’t deal breakers or anything, but little things I miss from Safari that would just help with the overall experience for me:

1. The status bar shows whether a link opens in the current tab/window or a new one when hovering over it.

2. A progress indicator instead of just a status indicator. A little pie like the hidden option in Safari before 3.1 might be nice. The location of OmniWeb's status indicator is perfect, but it gives no indication of how far along a page is.

3. A search box that functions like the Inquisitor plug-in for Safari. It auto-completes phrases and brings up top results in a drop-down menu. This feature makes basic searches so much quicker. This is the single thing I miss the most from Safari.

4. Speed Download compatibility.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotank View Post
I have a couple minor requests that I’d love to see in OmniWeb. These aren’t deal breakers or anything, but little things I miss from Safari that would just help with the overall experience for me:
<snip>
4. Speed Download compatibility.
I don't why people are having compatibility problems with Speed Download. A long time ago ... nearly a year, I think ... there was a period when OW5s would only pass URLs over when they were on the same server as the link. But that was solved ages ago for me. I have no problems at all ... there are odd occasions on which text files that don't get handed over but it happens so rarely for me that I haven't bothered to try to think why.

Apart from that, the only thing that Safari has with SD that OW doesn't is that in Safari you can turn SD downloading on or off via the contextual menu ... but that's set up by Yazsoft. It's not down to the browser.

Mark

As far as #2 goes, there's been some discussion on that here before. Bottom line is, especially with the way many sites are built these days, there's no way to give an accurate status indicator. In past time there still wasn't a way to do it accurately, but now it's even less accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiamenese View Post
I don't why people are having compatibility problems with Speed Download. A long time ago ... nearly a year, I think ... there was a period when OW5s would only pass URLs over when they were on the same server as the link. But that was solved ages ago for me. I have no problems at all ... there are odd occasions on which text files that don't get handed over but it happens so rarely for me that I haven't bothered to try to think why.

Apart from that, the only thing that Safari has with SD that OW doesn't is that in Safari you can turn SD downloading on or off via the contextual menu ... but that's set up by Yazsoft. It's not down to the browser.

Mark
My problem was that suddenly OmniWeb would start eating up huge amounts of CPU for no reason. I emailed support and they suggested that SD could be causing the problem. Since I’ve had it disabled in OmniWeb I haven’t had the CPU problem once. I don’t know why it doesn’t affect everyone the same or what other factors might make it come up, but there’s certainly still some incompatibility between these two programs.