The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Duration Display Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I entered a couple of action items that take days, weeks, or months, and I find that the column display is always showing as hours.

1,008 hours (presumably 1.5 months) is pretty meaningless to me.

Is there a way to display these durations more intelligently?

Who are you, David Blaine?

why do you ask?

Joe, we've got a feature request open on this - can you describe some of the actions you have that take that longer duration, so I can add that info to the feature request?

I think the team was thinking that most things that take that long would be projects.

This summer we are building a fiber network between our four buildings.

This work is being contracted out (actually to more than one party).

I am aware of several of the "big picture" steps that have to take place, and we still have some questions that need to be answered, and based on those answers the project can go in different directions.

I want to keep on top of the contractors and the decision points to make sure the project stays on its timeline.

We have a deadline date when it needs to be completed by.

One of the line items is "construction begins", and we were told that it would take 1.5 days to complete.

Another item is posting an RFP (which has to post for 10 business days).

So I am calculating backwards from the completion date, and forwards from where we are now, and calculating how long each of these phases will take, to keep track of when certain decisions need to be made to stay on track overall.

Thanks for the additonal info, Joel - attached this info to the feature request. Checked with the dev team, and we convert to hours due to the ambiguous conversion from days to hours. That is, if we show "1d", then it isn't clear if we mean "8h", "7.5h" (in Europe), "24h" or what.

Responding to myself: just articulating why it works the way it does - depending on feedback, of course, change is possible. ;-)