The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

mobile OF syncing via Bonjour fails ugly-like Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Anyone else had this problem? Solved it? I've contacted Omnni support on this one, but perhaps the user community will swoop in with a quick fix. Could happen!

Updated my desktop OFs to 1.5 today and took the plunge and finally got OF for my iPod touch, too, yay! All is well with the Macs, syncing via Bonjour. But with the iPod touch?

OmniFocus on my touch fails ungracefully. I can try to get the sync settings from my Mac by the Bonjour machine name, which appears as expected ... but after selecting it, mini-OF simply bounces back to the settings screen and nothing has changed.

With the email method, I tap the link and OF dutifully launches, asks me if I want to replace my sync settings ... and then hangs, forever, while "loading..." the sync settings. The progress bar never shows any progress.

Anyone got any ideers?

Is OF for Iphone syncing over Bonjour yet? Unless the update has been approved by Apple then the answer is no, and will probably point to the reason you're having problems syncing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdygirl View Post
Is OF for Iphone syncing over Bonjour yet? Unless the update has been approved by Apple then the answer is no, and will probably point to the reason you're having problems syncing....
Yep. Just got that answer from support.

Wasn't documented anywhere obvious!

That limitation not in the help docs.

And the OF prefs window makes it look possible. Just the version number of OF for iPhone ... eaaaasy to overlook.

So I just spent an hour troubleshooting that (and posting, and bothering Omni support) completely needlessly. Sigh.

Sorry for the confusion this caused - the release notes that appear in the "There's an update available" window mention this. If there's a way to make it more obvious, let us know and we're certainly open to changing our process. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sorry for the confusion this caused - the release notes that appear in the "There's an update available" window mention this. If there's a way to make it more obvious, let us know and we're certainly open to changing our process. :-)
Certainly that information belonged in the release notes, but it's not like I read release notes all that carefully in the first place, let alone memorize them! Basically what I got from the release notes was, "Yay, Bonjour syncing!" An hour later I went to happily configure it.

Maaaaybe I would have remembered seeing in the release notes that Bonjour syncing with iPhone was not yet ready. But I didn't. And it says right in the syncing prefs that you can do it. Okay, fine, the version number didn't jive, but it didn't even remotely occur to me to compare the version numbers, because since when do you advertise functionality in prefs for a version of your software that isn't actually available yet?

Since the App Store launch, I guess ... app releases delayed beyond developers' control ... it's a whole new thing! :)

But this problem can be anticipated. In the future, when OF functionality relies on an unreleased version of Mobile OF ... just make it a little clearer? And/or how about more graceful failure? Call me crazy, but how about an error message like, "Mobile OF can't do Bonjour syncing!" That would have tipped me off and saved me an hour. I'm just sayin'.

Yada yada. I'm going on and on and it's really not that important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcloits View Post
Certainly that information belonged in the release notes, but it's not like I read release notes all that carefully in the first place, let alone memorize them! Basically what I got from the release notes was, "Yay, Bonjour syncing!" An hour later I went to happily configure it.

Maaaaybe I would have remembered seeing in the release notes that Bonjour syncing with iPhone was not yet ready. But I didn't. And it says right in the syncing prefs that you can do it. Okay, fine, the version number didn't jive, but it didn't even remotely occur to me to compare the version numbers, because since when do you advertise functionality in prefs for a version of your software that isn't actually available yet?
The Bonjour functionality also works fine between Macs as well as between Mac and iPhone. The feature is useful for people without iPhones who don't want to pay for MobileMe (or other) subscriptions. They specifically put it out prior to OFi 1.1's release to get more people using it and testing it so they could be sure to have as many bugs out of it as possible before sending it off to the App store where quick turnaround to fix something they missed may not be possible.

Given the above, how would you trigger an error message like you propose?

I just downloaded Omnifocus on my iPhone and synced it fine with Bonjour... first time. Incredibly simple. I configured the Mac to be its on server for the file. It then asked me for a password which I typed in. I hit the button to broadcast the info... and instantly my iPhone prompted me with the name of my PowerMacG5. I then hit the button on my iPhone and it asked for the password. I typed it in, and it did the initial sync. Seemed to work fine.

@convergent: Um ... something’s not adding up here ... Omni support told me that OF for the iPhone does not yet support Bonjour syncing ... unless, perhaps, the new iPhone OF is now available in your country’s App Store? Not in mine, Canada.

@whpalmer4: My comments were for the suggestion box. It’s not a big deal, as acknowledged despite my verbosity. But as for your question ... er, graceful failure ain’t exactly an exotic programming concept. If (!TryBonjour) then SyncError(“Sorry, no can haz Bonjour sync.”) else SyncMsg(“You can haz Bounjour syncing!”) I think the exact code would probably be different ... ;-)

Quote:
@whpalmer4: My comments were for the suggestion box. It’s not a big deal, as acknowledged despite my verbosity. But as for your question ... er, graceful failure ain’t exactly an exotic programming concept. If (!TryBonjour) then SyncError(“Sorry, no can haz Bonjour sync.”) else SyncMsg(“You can haz Bounjour syncing!”) I think the exact code would probably be different ... ;-)
Bonjour without an iPhone in the mix is a perfectly reasonable scenario. So how is the error message to be triggered? You configured it for Bonjour syncing, and there was no error on the Mac end...

There is no suggestion box monitored by Omni on the forum. If you want Omni to listen to your suggestion, use Help->Send Feedback.

Quote:
@convergent: Um ... something’s not adding up here ... Omni support told me that OF for the iPhone does not yet support Bonjour syncing ... unless, perhaps, the new iPhone OF is now available in your country’s App Store? Not in mine, Canada.
)
It's just up in ITunes now, or at least it is in the UK. When you first posted, it wasn't. :)

Good luck - hope it works for you now!